Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aegean in April: two possible ferry itineraries, need help to decide

Mar 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Turkey and Greece for the first time in April. We've organised the Turkey and mainland-Greece parts of our trip but we haven't managed to work out how to get across the Aegean. We'll arrive on Samos from Kusadasi on 8 April and need to be in Athens by 15 April.

We're in our late thirties and are mostly interested in seeing as much architecture, history, food and culture as we can in the short time available, rather than sit on beaches or go clubbing.

Thanks to all the information already on these forums we have narrowed it down to two possible itineraries. Please weigh in with your opinion - and ideas for hotels in the 150-200 EUR range if you know any!

Option A
9 April Samos to Naxos by ferry
10 April Naxos to Ios by ferry
11 April Ios to Mykonos by ferry, two nights Mykonos
13 April Mykonos to Santorini by ferry, two nights Santorini
15 April Santorini to Athens by plane

Option B
9 April Samos to Paros by ferry
10 April Paros to Mykonos by ferry, two nights Mykonos
12 April Mykonos to Santorini by ferry, three nights Santorini
15 April Santorini to Athens by plane

Questions for the forum:
1) Is there just too much travel in option A or is Ios really worth seeing and worth the extra hassle of another ferry trip and hotel search?
2) The Paleologos site shows the Flying Cat ferries as having no availability on these dates, but I have trouble believing that - will we be able to get ferry tickets online at all or do we have to buy them when we get there?
3) In mid April what is the likelihood that the ferries will be delayed or cancelled due to weather (or strikes I guess)?
4) For either itinerary, would you recommend Paros or Naxos?

We know we're trying to fit a lot in a very short time - we can't make the trip any longer.

Thank you all in advance! - two excited Kiwis.
Mar 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Both options are too much travel for only 6 days considering all the time wasted packing, unpacking, making your way to the ferry, finding your next hotel, unpacking, packing, making your way to the ferry, finding your next hotel, unpacking, packing, making your way to the ferry.......you get the idea. Cut it down to 2 islands, relax and enjoy your surroundings. I'd go with Paros and Santorini.

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd
Mar 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow what a quick response!

Will the ferries actually run and be available for booking? I feel like I've spent days looking at the ferry websites and I'd like to be certain they'll be running.

Also, do you have any recommended hotels in Paros and Santorini?

Thanks, the Kiwis.
Mar 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM

Not all ferries will be running in April since the demand is low then. You can check on www.gtp.gr for what's available now and look at the "from" and "till" dates to see what's available when you need it. Look for more as the weeks pass.

What will your maximum daily room budget be?
Mar 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM

You are very early season so the ferry options are going to be limited. Your destination islands are going to be dependent on which ferries that are running. Perhaps you might just want to keep your options open and just catch the first ferry available to an island on your list.

As Brotherelee indicated, ferry hopping can eat up a huge portion of your time so beware of backtracking. Both your option A and B involve backtracking ie Naxos to Ios, Ios to Mykonos is a backtrack then Mykonos to Santorini is another reversal of direction. Your whole trip is going to be sitting on ferries.

Since Samos is so far away from the Cyclades chain of islands it can be a 12 hour ferry trip. Have you considered flying.
I just Checked Olympic Air web site they have 3 flights a day from Samos to Athens on the dates you will be in Samos with price ranging from 45 to 75 euro. That will allow you to get to Athens and then give you the option of taking a second flight to Santorini or Mykonos. Olympic is showing flights to Santorini on your dates ranging from 33 to 76 euro. Personally I would choose to spend the money and be watching the sunset in Santorini a few hours after leaving Samos rather than endure all those hours on a ferry.

Have you considered taking a bit more time on Samos. Pythagorean used to be a Roman town of 60,000 people. There are lots of Roman era sites there with a great little town museum, a vibrant waterfront for dining and shopping and good beaches a kilometer away. There is a lot to see on Samos. I always say Samos needs to hire a good marketing department because it is not doing a good job of promoting all it has to offer.
Have fun planning
Mar 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi stanbr, brotherlee,

We've cut down the islands to three:

1 night Samos
3 nights Mykonos (via the Paros ferry)
3 nights Santorini

Thank you for your help! Especially the gtp.gr site; it's so much easier to use than the palaelogos.gr site I had previously been using.

Cheers!