Search

US regional foods

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US regional foods

Hello

The latest National Geographic Traveler has a fold-out map with various US regional foods. For instance, clam chowdah (of course), BBQ in the Carolinas and elsewhere, pierogis (midwest), coffee (PNW) and so on. They reference the cranberry bogs and blueberries of New England, as well as the Concord grapes near Lake Erie, and so on. It's a pretty cool map with some nifty ideas.

What foods are famous in your region? When you travel, do you seek out the specific regional foods? Have you ever gone on a trip with finding these regional foods as a goal?
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 07:52 AM

Memphis, so BBQ of course but also great Southern/Soul food as well. For sure seek out and do a ton of research on regional foods before and during travels. If you count bourbon and wine as food groups, then YES!
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM

Good food is always a top priority on our trips.
It seems like Wyoming/Montana has Huckleberry everything. Of course, cajun in Louisianna. Green Chiles in New Mexico. Tex/Mex with bordering states of Mexico. Baja California area has a definate Mexican vibe-perhaps the best fish tacos in this area. PNW is also known for good fruit. A few places in Colorado/Oklahoma/Texas serve Lamb Fries or Calf Fries aka Rocky Mountain Oysters and that seems regional to the area.
Whoopie Pies in New England. Fried Catfish in the south. Gulf Shrimp in the south. Key Lime everything in the Keyes. Frog Legs in the south.

My favorite is the pink condiment at all greasy spoon cafe joints in Utah. They call it fry sauce. It's generally a concoction of mayo/ketchup. Some add a dash of hot sauce or pickle juice. Others might add a bit of sugar. It is somewhat like thousand island dressing.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I'm from Michigan, and live in Boston area, when I go back home I always look for good lake whitefish and trout.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM

Here's a midwest check-in to mention Chicago-style pizza (Uno! Due!) and 'Chicago-style hotdogs (even though I'm a philistine and want mine 'ketchup-only,' thank you). Moving north into Wisconsin, there's cheeses from America's Dairyland; kringles (coffee cake) from Racine; Milwaukee with its beer and sausages, and Twin Rivers, which lays claim to serving the first ice cream sundae. And then, the infamous Door County Fish Boil (of which I'm also not a fan).
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM

I'll give the same answer I gave about eight years ago when this question is asked.

Scrapple is definitely a regional item here in southeastern Pennsylvania, but some people argue whether or not it should be designated as a FOOD item. I mean, how many items sold in a grocery store might have the words, "No snouts" on the package?
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM

We're in Hawaii right now, so I have to add shave ice to the list.

And sourdough bread at home in San Francisco.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM

In Kentucky, country ham and red-eye gravy, biscuits and milk gravy, Hot Browns, Modjeskas (caramel-covered marshmallows), cream raisin pie, jam cake.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 03:39 PM

There was a similar thread not too long ago, I can't find it using search but it was a pretty compilation. Maybe one of the search experts can find it.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 04:07 PM

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ican-foods.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...et-at-home.cfm
Note: 760 responses

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ss-america.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...onal-foods.cfm
This is the thread that, ten years ago, I made my comment about scrapple that still holds.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM

My husband is from Ohio, and anytime we happen to visit, I want to get Trail balogna. A thick smoky slice, fried up with melted cheese, makes a wonderful sandwich. This is not your usual balogna (which I do NOT care for). And pierogies, of course!

When I moved from San Francisco to Virginia, I had my first actually honest-to-god delicious biscuits. Now these biscuit sandwiches (sausage biscuits, steak biscuits, chicken biscuits, etc.) can be found at many fast food chains, but they still don't compare. And ham biscuits, which are a bit different, more of an hors doeuvres thing.

Here in Florida, we of course are key lime pie snobs. The real thing is more of a yellow color, not green, and made from key limes. Also, gator bites - I lived just a couple of miles from Gatorland at one point. Little chunks of tenderized deep fried gator tail, good with beer. We are not healthy eaters here.

I do miss San Francisco sourdough bread. What passes for sourdough in the East is pretty insipid.

My family (mother's side) is in northwest Washington state. Family cookouts were always salmon (sometimes several varieties), usually with some sort of bbq sauce. And oysters on the grill, and clam fritters (none of which is store bought).
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Philadelphia it is the good old Cheese Steak Sandwich and soft pretzels and Tasty Cakes.
I always try the regional specialties when I travel.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM

In New York things start here while others things migrate here. And since it is the most ethnically diverse city in the world, people bring their cuisines from all over.

Here are things that may have started here and many have spread all over so it is no longer regional dishes.

hot dogs
Manhattan clam chowder
New York style cheesecake
New York style pizza
Strip steak
New York style bagel
New York style pastrami
Baked pretzels
Italian Ice
Knish
Eggs Benedict
Ice Cream Cone
Lobster Newberg
Waldorf Salad
Doughnut
Delmonico steak
Black and white cookie
Cappuccino
Chicken à la King
Delmonico steak
Egg cream
Eggs Benedict
General Tso's chicken
Ice cream cone
Lobster Newburg
Mallomars
Manhattan Special – A type of carbonated espresso drink.
Pasta primavera
Penne alla Vodka
Reuben sandwich
Steak Diane
Vichyssoise
Waldorf salad

I even read Red Velvet cake started here.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 03:13 AM

www.orangebeach.com

Royal Red Shrimp from Alabama Gulf Coast

Sweetest in the known universe...

zekeslanding.com WolF Bay Lodge

best place to eat them.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

I see a trip being born before my eyes... thank you everyone. And thank you for the link to the old threads, too!

I couldn't even tell you off the top of my head what would be a Metro-DC regional food. Baltimore has its crabcakes, and I suppose soft shell crabs come from somewhere nearby...
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

ps. but I did just find this website:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Ameri...ricanIndex.htm
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM

In Northern CA, OR, and WA, craft beer is a big deal. Southern CA is getting into it too, but I don't see the same concentration of breweries down there.

Ollalieberries for the CA central coast. I don't know that Ollalies grow anywhere else. Artichokes are a big deal here too.

Santa Maria BBQ - which I didn't realize was called that or specific to this area until I watched something about regional BBQ on TV. I thought tri-tip was as common as apple pie, but apparently it isn't.

Chippino is another CA specialty.

Burritos - although they aren't just a CA thing (obviously) there is the big rivalry between burrito styles in northern and southern CA.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM

november_moon, I had to look up Santa Maria BBQ. Wow, looks delicious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buoc3...eature=related

Of course, Cioppino deserves to go on the list, as you say - I belive it originated in San Francisco?
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 12:57 PM

The Tuck Box for Ollalieberry Jam on scones.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I visited the Tuck Box! I had scones! I may have even had that jam, because the name was intriguing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -