"Catholic souvenirs" in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nearly always post in the Central and South America forums.

Planning a trip to Rome. I am not Catholic, but I have a couple of good friends whose Catholic faith is very important to them. I'd like to get them each something meaningful from the Vatican, but it seems presumptuous of me, a non-Catholic, to give them rosaries. They have rosaries anyway. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 07:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
People like rosaries from the Vatican even if they already have one. A deacon at the local Catholic church in my town asked me to get him a nice rosary and some other items (medallion of Pope Benedict was one thing). I also picked up a bottle of holy water. Stop in the Vatican gift shop which is by the elevator/line to climb the dome. It's a very busy gift shop, but the prices are better than non Vatican gift shops and everything in the Vatican shop is blessed.

I would ask your friends what they want. Since I had already brought my friend several things from past trips, this time he asked for specific things of certain quality which he will pay for.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:19 PM

In addition to any gift shop item you might get, consider picking up some Vatican stamps or sending them a postcard from the Vatican (separate postal system).

The Vatican mosaic art is renowned, and their may be a small item with or without religious theme that could work.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM

I mean specifically micro mosaic; if memory serves they have small pretty affordable items.

In Assisi I obtained the prayer of St Francis in Italian on parchment; perhaps something similar.

I agree, though, that a Vatican rosary is special, even if they already have rosaries.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 10:34 PM

And if you hang around by the Tiber for more than a minute or two, some shyster will likely offer you a fragment of the one True Cross, or some threads from the Shroud of Turin.

(Smiley face. - can't fathom emoticons)
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:33 PM

You will find small souvenir staturay in every size and design you can imagine. Big sellers are Jesus, Mary, Crucified Jesus, Holy Family, St Frances, and Padre Pio.

If you walk down the street where they sell the robes and statuary for churches, you can even get a communion wafer waffle iron. I've been eyeing up a pair of Bishop's sock for years. Want a Mostra? Simply hundreds of them.

You are heading into an embarrassment of riches. I collect Catholic "stuff" and promise you, you will be falling over it in Rome.

Perhaps my favorite piece from Rome is a light embedded, framed portrait of the Blessed Mother. When you flip a switch in the back, the lights dance. I hope you can find one.
Old Sep 26th, 2011, 11:34 PM

that should be Bishop's socks, but I would take a Bishop's sock if I could get one.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 04:41 AM

I have several rosaries, but one of my treasures is a rosary from the Vatican. It was given to me by a student who is Jewish. I cherish it for what it is and because she took the time to remember me and my faith in her travels.

So don't worry if your friend already has a rosary or two or three, and don't feel presumptuous because it is not your belief. Your thoughtfulness will make it a treasure.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:02 AM
JBX

ALSO, there is a 2nd gift shop at St. Peters Basilica, if you will be going up to 'roof' for a closer view of all the statues circling the square as well as a nice view of St. Peters Sq. This could be a pitstop on your way up (or back down) from the Cupola.
Note -- this is a charge for elevator up to roof. This giftshop up here can be a bit less crowded than the one on main floor.

http://saintpetersbasilica.org/touristinfo.htm
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:04 AM

During one of my sojourns to Rome I had the opportunity to attend the Popes General Audience (on Wednesdays I believe). During the audience the Pope blesses items pilgrims have in hand. I had a crucifix and rosary blessed for my parents.

Speaking of rosaries......rather than purchasing just any old rosary look for ones that have the 4 High Bascillicas of Rome included. They are St. Peters, St. John Laterna (seat of the Bishop of Rome) , St. Paul Outside the Walls and St. Maria Maggiore.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Yes, you are entering an embarrassment of riches! A friend enjoyed the calendar I bought him -- "Young Priests of Rome". But I digress.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Be aware that rosaries at the Vatican are not inexpensive - even for ordinary ones. And if yuo go for the ones blessed by the Pope they are a fortune. I got one for my mom - but definitely would not have spend that much for anyone else.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:43 AM

I bought a rosewood rosary for my DIL, then had it blessed at the general Papal audience on Wednesday. I think she liked it....

The most fun purchase is red cardinal's socks from Gamarelli's in Via dei Cestari just behind the Pantheon. There are several ecclesiastical outfitters and suppiers in that area.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>Be aware that rosaries at the Vatican are not inexpensive - even for ordinary ones.<<<

You can buy rosaries for about 5€ at the Vatican gift shop. That is for a basic metal/bead rosary. If you want a sterling one, they will start at about 35€ (can be as high as 100€) depending on what the beads are made of. Gold is, of course, much more.

>>>Note -- this is a charge for elevator up to roof. This giftshop up here can be a bit less crowded than the one on main floor.<<<

There also may be a very long line for access starting outside St. Peter's. When I was there a couple of weeks ago you were required to get in line outside. There was a gated area inside and Vatican employees were letting people into the gated area a few at a time.

The nuns in the Vatican gift shop say all things purchased there have been blessed. The gift shops in other areas of Vatican City (the museums) seem to be more expensive for the same items. The holy water was not on display in the gift shop and had to asked for (I had seen someone else ask or wouldn't have known about it). I saw the same bottles of holy water on display in one of the museums for several euro more.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

My goodness, but the Europe forum gets a lot of activity. I'm used to the two Latin America forums here. That's where the majority of my travel takes me. The activity there is respectable, but nothing like this.

This gives me a lot to go on. So, maybe I will go the rosary route since you folks think it's appropriate, but I like these other suggestions too.

If someone offers to sell me threads from the Shroud of Turin, I'm keeping them for myself.

Thank you all. These are great ideas!
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Our favorite souvenir to bring home from Rome are "pope openers". They are bottle openers with a likeness of the pope on them. Of course, your friends have to have a good sense of humor, but everyone that we have brought them home for loves them! Inexpensive and easy to transport.
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 10:02 AM

I purchased a St. Christopher medal for myself when I was at St. Peters & The Vatican (sorry, can't remember exactly which gift shop). I thought it appropriate as he is associated with travelers. A friend also got me a rosary from the Vatican which I have also kept (even though I already owned a rosary).
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:44 PM

tarquin: I have never had the nerve to enter one of the clothing shops on the via Cestari. You are my hero. Did you buy Cardinal's socks? Can you tell me how much they were?
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 01:55 PM

You can buy original Gamarelli's red Cardinal's socks by mail order for 19.90 euro (plus postage 3-5 euro) at http://fr.meschaussettesrouges.com/l...mc0ruko6m0thq0
Old Sep 27th, 2011, 06:18 PM

What's a Mostra????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -