Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Frankfurt to France--Trip Advise Needed...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attending a conference in Frankfurt on August 10-13. As I am flying all the way from the other side of the world, I would like to visit my all-time favorite European destination, France, for five or so days after that.

Quick background: Altho I like Germany a lot,I have done an extensive roadtrip around Germany in the past, so there is no need to stay in Frankfurt and environs. I totally love Provence and Paris, but any French countryside will suit me fine for this trip. My interests are antiquing and just experiencing French culture.

If there is anyone who can give me input on:
1. Is it realistic to go from Frankfurt to Provence by train, and then hire a car there for a few days of BnB-ing and antiquing?
2. Is there another area aside from Provence, perhaps closer to Germany, that you would recommend visiting?
3. Any recommendations for BnBs and restaurants are very welcome.

Thanks for anything you can share!
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM

I presume you are flying out of FRA as well?
FRA to Avignon, for example is about 8-9hrs with many changes by train. Driving takes about the same time. If you really like this kind of travel, it is "realistic."

You can fly FRA-MRS or FRA-NCE direct, for example on Lufthansa, in 90min.

Alsace is an easy trip from Frankfurt.
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

I was wondering how I was going to do that--either fly out from Paris--or it would really depend on how my land arrangements go.

8-9 hours is not realistic for us, it would take too much of our precious free days. But thanks for that input. The best way would probably be to fly RT from FRA-MRS and back MRS-FRA for our flight out.

Will check out and research Alsace too.

Thanks!
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

ttt thanks
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM

If it's more "countryside" you want...rent a car from Frankfurt and head southwest across the border. We like to do a circular route on this sort of jaunt.

Drive through the vinyards to Wissembourg, Hangenau, Soufflenheim and its Pottery route (if that's your thing) then on to Strasbourg. Strasbourg has so much to offer and Saturday mornings around the cathedral area is a flea market where you can find antiques. Don't miss Little France neighborhood nor the Cathedral and its astronomical clock (last ticket sale: 11:20). Plan 2-3 night stay Strasbourg. Old-world charm and modern Europe, all rolled into one. Take the Ill river cruise--very beautiful and worth every centime.

Drive on to Nancy, city of art deco of Ecole de Nancy fame. You can visit any number of things along the way, Canal de la Marne, little chapels, war monuments/cemeteries. 2-3 night stay. During this time take a day trip to Metz (pronounced "messe") research your dates to make see if Metz is having one of their regularly scheduled antique fairs/marche aux puces at their large Exposition Halle in the metropole area. (I think it is monthly). Fantastic dining choices in Nancy. Or stay in Metz and do day trip to Nancy, but we prefer Nancy over Metz personally.

On your return drive to Frankfurt via the autoroute, have lunch reservations (highly advised) at the excellent Restaurant Schlossberg in Forbach before crossing the border. This atmospheric restaurant that overlooks the town has a very nice gourmet menu, but I actually prefer the 37 euros menu with its huge and varied selections. One of the few to still have a real chariot de fromage as part of their dessert lineup. Wines by the glass available, which i appreciate.

After lunch, to work off some of those calories, walk up the path to the hauntingly beautiful remains of the castle and see the town as the sun lowers over the town. Head back to Frankfurt airport hotel for last night prior to flight. Check viamichelin, but in my mind it should be under 2-2 1/2 hrs to Frankfurt area from Forbach, since it's 1 1/2 hrs from Heidelberg.

Happy travels!

Others might suggest Strasbourg, then heading south along the Alsatian wine route. That's nice, but I feel the drive through the vinyards around Wissembourg and the stay in Strasbourg provide enough "Alsatian" atmsophere. I OD on the gingerbread house stuff after a couple of days, but that's just me.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

OMG Klondiketoo, THANKS so much for this very detailed suggestion which includes antiquing and things I love.

I will start researching all those things now and see if there are nice BnBs along the route.

Merci, danke, Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I'm right in the middle of planning this trip above, recommended by Klondiketoo.

Does anyone have recommendations for BnB's along the route? Interested in charming inns as opposed to chain hotels.

Thanks for anything you can share!
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM
ira

Hi V,

>Is there another area aside from Provence, perhaps closer to Germany, that you would recommend visiting?<

Alsace.

My trip reports might interest you.

Ira Returns From 22 Loverly Days in Europe - Sep, 2009
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

Ira Visits Zurich, The Bodensee, Alsace and Paris – May 2008
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35136218

Ira Visits Europe – May, 2007 (Salzburg, Fuessen, Bodensee, Burgundy, Alsace)
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Hello Ira,

Thank you so much for linking to your trip reports! It gave me many more insights into other trips I'm planning.

I'm now trying work out a route that will get me from Frankfurt, through the Alsace region and other interesting things on the way to Paris, from where I will hop on a plane back to Frankfurt for my RT back to Asia.

Looking through Karen Brown's recommended inns and hotels (that's my type of thing!)