a little help with a *nice* Venice Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be visiting Venice in early July with my girlfriend and wanted to book a nice hotel but not something that's gonna really break the budget. I've searched a million different hotels around there and I figured it'd be easier to give some sort of checklist on here and see if anyone could give me a few suggestions based on the following criteria:

1. I would like to have one where the boat literally pulls up to a dock for the hotel. Not one that you get off and walk across a street (if that makes sense).
2. I would also definitely like a view of the canal from the hotel room, I know a lot of them have this option, I just wanted to include it here.
.....I think that's pretty much it, I thought I'd have a few more but that's pretty much all of it.

Now, I'd like to stay in the $2-250 range but if that's not possible, then I could go probably as high as $350 unless someone has something else in mind relatively close.....
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:21 AM

Hi -- two questions:

1. Are you looking for a view of a canal, or THE canal?
2. Are you looking for something plushish, or will comfortable do?

The last 3 times I have been in Venice, we have stayed at the Corte Grimani. Some of the rooms have a canal view, some have great beamed ceilings, all come with the excellent care of Guido, Donatella and Franca, who run the front desk.

You can take a private taxi right up to the steps outside of the front door of the hotel.

The rooms are spacious and very clean. It is ideally located close to St. Mark's Square and the Rialto Bridge. It might be worth taking a look.

www.cortegrimani.com
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tries2PakLite....To answer your questions, I would say THE canal would be preferrable but I could be swayed to either. #2 Of course, I would say plushish but if that's not in the price range comfortable will do. I'll check out that hotel you listed now...THANKS!!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:49 AM

Check out La Calcina. It is in the Dorsoduro district and has views of the Giudecca Canal. It meets your price point and I think it will meet your drop off point criteria. I was pleasantly surprised when I first went to Venice. The vaporetto pulled up to the stop and the hotel was just a few steps away, no need to cross any bridges to access the hotel.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM

I saw this hotel in a movie and it looks so nice. I am not sure of the cost… It is called Hotel Danieli. It was so pretty and I am sure your girlfriend would love it… It looks expensive.
We are also going to Venice.... we are staying a less expensive hotel called the Hotel Paganelli. It has great reviews and you could take a water taxi right up to the front door. When I was reading I noticed that people kept saying how they would see tourists just wandering around with their luggage, lost trying to find their hotel and we didn’t want any part of that.. lol… this place is simple, no frills, but like I said the place is easy to get to and close to Saints Marks Square…. Good luck!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM

The Paganelli was the first hotel we ever stayed in in Venice. Back then it was a 2 star hotel, but the location! We loved it. It has been updated since then, and the rates have gone up, but it still has that location! sigh.

Actually, you can take a water taxi up to the dock and it is a short walk across the Riva Degli Schiavoni.

The Danieli is right near the top of the heap, hotel-wise. Oppulent and expensive.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:34 AM

Well i am glad to hear that the Paganelli is ok! I am excited.. thanks Tries2PakLite!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM

Loved La Calcina too. Great location, beautiful hotel, small and quaint, loved breakfast at their restaurant right on the water.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

The Danieli was in the movie, "The Tourist" with Johnnie Depp and Angelina Jolie.....That place was BEAUTIFUL, at least in the movie.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:38 AM

If others don't work out, have a look at Hotel Galleria in Dorsoduro. I have stayed there a couple of times. This little hotel is right at the foot of the Accademia bridge and the vaporetto stop. Some of the rooms are shared bath. You won't want those. However, if you can get one of them, two rooms have ensuite baths and fantastic views of the Grand Canal. They are #8 & #10. Hotel is on second floor and has no elevator, unless one has been put in recently. Breakfast is light and simple, but served in your room, so you can look out at the canal while eating, so that is fun. Keep in mind, the Grand Canal is noisy in the mornings.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:51 AM

rywith 22,

My husband and I stayed at Ca' Angeli in San Polo. We loved the location. We stayed in the front room (room #1) with a beautiful view of the Grand Canal. The breakfast room also has a beautiful view of the Grand Canal and there is a dock a few yards away.

The staff are wonderful (especially Amber). The breakfast was delicious!

The Ponte di Rialto is nearby as well as two grocery stores,book stores, all types of shops and cafes. Our favorite restaurant, al Paradiso was closed by. The polenta with black ink, the frito misto and seabass with carrot cream is mouth watering.

Have a great stay in Venice.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 12:14 PM

luna -- have you read any of Donna Leon's books that are set in Venice? The Paganelli is mentioned as a hotel that Inspector Guido Brunetti is surprised to find that Americans have discovered -- being that it is a great, but small hotel in such a wonderful location. Of course, the downside is that Donna Leon has many readers and now the secret is out.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM

Check out the popular Pensione Accademia-

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/

I like the hotel, location, breakfast and the outside seating areas.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM

Tries2PakLite
No I sure havent but I love to read and will definitely check it out.. thanks!!!!
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 03:52 PM

<<<The Danieli was in the movie, "The Tourist" with Johnnie Depp and Angelina Jolie.....That place was BEAUTIFUL, at least in the movie.>>>

But in the movie, they cheated a bit. The movie MAY have shown the interior of the Danieli, but the location shown in the movie was not true. You can’t see the Rialto from the front of the Danieli – the Danieli is east of San Marco.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:38 PM

Right, Peter_S_Aus! I noticed that the Hotel Danieli looked nothing like the one in the movie and certainly was not in the same location.