Search

Sedona Arizona Pink Jeep Tours

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona Arizona Pink Jeep Tours

Hi Folks,

A friend and I are headed out to Sedona in about a week. We would really like to do the Jeeps Tour. The question I have is related to my back. I am recovering from a ruptured disc injury and I finally have the pain at a manageable level. Is the tour aggressive enough that I need to worry about causing more injury to my back? Is it jarring? Say for example, if you were to compare it to the up and down of riding a horse? I would like to enjoy it, but not risk compressing the discs in my back.

Also, is there a less aggressive trail that could be considered?

Thanks for your help.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM

You can see most of what you see on a Pink Jeep tour by getting a map of Sedona (AAA gives one) and exploring Dry Creek Road, the smaller roads that go off from it, and other roads that run parallel to Dry Creek Road.

As far as I know, I am the only living traveller who feels that $79 spent on a Pink Jeep Tour is not money well spent.

HTTY
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
They offer several tours. Their Broken Arrow tour may be too bumpy for you. For similar reasons we chose the Scenic Rim tour when my sister went out with me.
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:32 AM

Do not take the Broken Arrow tour with a bad back. HTTY I would be the second living traveller--I think the jeep tours are only worth it if you are not a hiker.

The best and most awe inspiring views and sites in Sedona are seen from the trails.
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I can't really hike right now either, as that is overexertion and worsens the sciatica. I guess I'll have to consider what to do....
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:21 AM

There are some fabulous, easy drives in the Sedona area, and some where you can take an easy stroll as well. Red Rock State Park, Red Rock Crossing, Schoolhouse Rd, Oak Creek Canyon all come to mind. The small visitor center in town is really helpful with map and suggestions.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't do the Broken Arrow Jeep ride. If you still have trouble with sciatica, this would NOT be good. Check on one of the other jeep tours, or as others have suggested, do the drives yourself. Still plenty to see and do on your own.
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:46 AM

As elnap29 mentions there are lots of scenic drives you can do from paved or well-graded gravel roads ... I'd avoid the jeeps if my back was sore. Here's a partial list of drives (avoid Schnebly Hill Scenic Drive on this list though):

http://www.sedona-az.biz/sedona-ariz...nic-drives.php
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. And why avoid Schnebly Hill? My brother had specifically recommended it?
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM

And why avoid Schnebly Hill? My brother had specifically recommended it?

From the link I gave you:

This one {Schnebly Hill} is a rocky road adventure for all-terrain vehicles so dont' even think about bringing your rental car on this one. This is a dirt road over big rocks...get the picture?

If you can do this one with no back flareups then you can likely do most of the Pink Jeep trails too. The other roads mentioned in my link are paved or graded gravel so not as bumpy, thus easier on the back.