Need help in Athens and Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be travelling with my 15 and 6 y/o daughters. We are flying from Londo and will Be:
Day 1 Athens: arriving at 1225 PM. I need suggestion what to do this day. I booked a
nonrefundable night stay at the Sofitel airport since we will be flying
early at 500 AM arriving Santorini at 600AM. (June 15). Who do I need
to contact for tours?

Day 2to 5 - June 15 to June 18: This is my big problem. We like to stay in Fira since it
is where the city center as I gather from postings. However Oia is
supposed to have a better sunset view? If we stay in Fira and be in
Oia for one day till sunset, is there any bus that would go to
Fira that late? Is it safe? And if decide to stay in Oia, is it safe to take
the bus back to Fira? What is the most economical transportation to
and from the airport? Our flight back to Athens on the 18th is1130PM.
I need help on Hotels with pool, preferably private balcony and
jacuzzi(if it fits the budget max 400 euros). Steps wouldn't be a
problem as long as it has unobstructed caldera view and closer to
restaurants and shopping. Breakfast can be an option.
We would like to explore the island. Is it safe to rent a car for a day or
2? What tours do you recommend? What restaurants do you
recommend for lunch and supper? We like totry greek foods
such as octopus and fish, lamb chops and rice lemon soup?

Day 6-7 (June 18 to 21) We arrive in Athens at 1215AM. Stay at Sofitel Airport hotel.
June 19: we stay at King George Palace Hotel. Is this a good choice?
Any comparable hotel that is cheaper and same location? We have 2
full days to spare before we head up to US on an early flight on the
June 21st. We might want to see a show. Any good restaurant with
acropolis view on the 20th ?
I appreciate any input.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:18 AM

DAY 1 - TOURS: Your problem is, arriving 12:25, you will require 1 hr+ to get through lilnes, claim luggage, get €€ from ATMs. Then, you want to get rid of our luggage; check into sofitel. So, by then, its 1 pm. --- And all the standard tours start at 9:30 AM. 2 options:

• Contact someone for a private tour of the Acropolis, and meet them there. Here's a contact list giving pvt. licensed guides' credentials and fees: http://www.ourexplorer.com/Listing.a...ki&City=Athens ... they have hourly rates of €50 up. You might consider a tour covering Acropolis + Acropolis Museum (both open to 8 pm last admissino 730). in your case, you might consider going to museum first, having lunch on terrace w. view of Parthenon, then doing the Museum then going up to acropolis late-in-day, best light then).

• Buy Rick Steves' book Athens & Peloponnese $13 on Amazon ... he has an excellent walking tour of Acropolis for newcmoers... also walking tour of Ancient Agora below the "rock". Timing as above.. Acropolis best done either at 8:30 AM or after 5 pm in summer.

• WHICHEVER option, TAXI to Central Athens, to your starting point, flat-rate daytime €35, an excellent choice for 3. Going back, ditto. 3 Metro fares = €21 or so. Taxi/3 = worth it.

DAY 2 -- SANTORINI LOCATION -- At your budget should have a wide choice even in Oia, but please don't believe that only Oia has good sunset view. I have watched stunning sunsets in Firostephani and Fira as well. Firostephani offers more versatility... only a 10-15 minute walk to all the Fira attractions yet quiet at night, and excellent views. Check pool hotels such as Dana Villa, Villa Illias, Mill Houses, Vallas Apartments, Ira Hotel, Belvedere Hotel and on border of Firostephani/Fira, Hotel Anteliz. Yes, car rental is OK, and Firastephani hotels have a place to park it. Others can tell you about Oia hotels -- but by now, the best choices may be fully booked (June IS the brides month u know).

ATHENS at end -- Hotel ASTOR is just across the square on another corner, lower rates. By "a show" what do you mean?? One thing that could delight both u & daughters would be to go to Dora Stratou Dance outdoor dance theatre... google it & you'll see... costumed dancers doing tradional dances from all over Greece & the isles. Can be fascianting. Hotel can arrange tickets. Restaurant: Filistron (terrace only). Reservations needed. Only taken 3-4 days ahead. Ask hotel.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info traveljan.
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM

I can tell you from our trip to Santorini that it always felt VERY safe. We stayed in Oia, at the Strogili Cave Houses (http://www.oia-strogili-houses.gr) and it was beautiful. Our room had the main bedroom in the back of the cave, and the front room/kitchenette area had two daybeds which would work great for your girls. The best part was just sitting outside on our own veranda with the amazing views in front of us. We did rent a car and drove all over the island, easy to do! We also skipped the taxi line at the airport and instead opted for the bus. What a great experience...seeing the locals get on for their ride to church, bringing the bus driver a chicken or other fun little goodies. Having been to a number of other places in the world, Santorini is my new favorite "Ahhhh" place.

After reading lots of reviews on here about Athens, we limited our stay there, but as it turns out we loved Athens as well! Climbed the Acropolis of course, but we really just loved walking around the town and enjoying some great meals. We stayed at the Attalos Hotel, (http://www.attaloshotel.com), they have a great roof top bar for enjoying a drink and a view of the Acropolis at night!
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks loves2sing. Just by what I have read I'm ready to book next summer's trip to Greece.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:36 PM

MTAC, since you have daughters, you'd enjoy reading EURYDICE STREET ... memoir/essays by a English person (daughter of White RUssian) who married a Greek diplomat in Europe & when their daughters were 7 & 10 or so, moved to Greece. Fascinating insights into Modern Greece, mingling with the impact of 20th C Greece and the aura of ancient civ ... as she watches her daughters "become Greek." Terrific book, full of humor/insight. Daughter #1 will love it too. Available in paperback to read on trip; MUCH more rewarding than typical "beach book" reading.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Both love to read. maybe download it in ipad. Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

traveljan, found tour by private car on expedia. maybe join a tour when we come back from Santorini. we will just explore syntagma square and hit the shops June 14th.
Old May 7th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Kind George palace in Athens is an excellent choice, this is a luxury 5 Star Hotel located directly on Syntagma Square... only comparable hotel would be Grande Bretagne, next door to Kind George, a Starwood hotel.
If you haven't booked already try to book a room with Acropolis view. Astor is a moderate 4 star hotel that i don't think that will match your taste.( if i judge by the hotel you booked in Athens and your budget in Santorini).
If you are interested in shopping in Athens, try the Kolonaki area, a wonderfull fashionable part of Athens with great shops and only a short walk away from your hotel.
As for Santorini, i am in love with Oia, there are lots of great hotels there, located on the caldera side.
I would recommend : Canaves Oia Hotel, Villa Katikies and in Imerovigli Rocabella ( you would need a car here, it is located outside Imerovigli on the road to Oia) Big plus is it has it's own parking, and no steps to the rooms !!!
Please keep in mind that Santorini is a totally safe island.
Athens on the other hand is a big city, be careful as you would be in any big city, and be aware of friendly Greeks that will approach you near Syntagma Square... they will offer to show you around, take you into shops and restaurants... and get a commission from everywhere....
Old May 7th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Forgot to add few great restaurants in Athens...
But before i that, i'd recommend Dora Stratou Theatre as well, the best way to see something more about the Real Greece.. That was an excellent recommendation travelerjan !!!!

Athens has thousands of restaurants, i would suggest the following that offer tasteful new greek kitchen ( not of the touristical kind)

1. Cibus in Zappeion, 200 meters from your hotel, excellent location in a nice park

2. Varoulko, best restaurant for fish, owner is one of the best chefs of Greece

3. Dionysos with a great view over the Acropolis, which is located on the other side of the street

4. Archeon Gefseis (http://www.archeon.gr/) eat like the ancient Greeks.. food cooked after recipes of the 4th and 5th centure BC, i am sure this would be fun for the whole famile, and especially your daughters?

The reception will make the reservations for you, as they tend to be full especially during the weekends.
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:38 PM

MTAC, those "private taxi tours" essentially amount to hiring a taxi to drive you around and point at things through the car windows, then let you out to go to the site on your own, with a map and brochure. We have discussed this many times on this Forum, but you are a newcomer. Taxi tour drivers are not licensed tour guides. By law they are forbidden to "tour" people through ancient sites or churches or museums, or any major site. All they are permitted to do is drive. And many of the sites (Acropolis, Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, Pnyx, Philappapou Hill etc) are on no-cars streets or lanes, so the taxis cannot even get close to them All the well-known sites are within easy walking distance of Grande Bretagne. I would advise, save the $150-300 you would pay a "taxi tour" ... if, that is, you want more than just a Look at famous landmarks, but rather some insight into what they are all about. LIcensed guides are graduates in archeology, history, art, classics.
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:46 PM

Just saw your line that maybe you can join a tour on return from Santorini.... excellent idea! because perhaps you can join the morning tour of http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/ we recommend it often, gets rave reviews -- Trip Advisor ranked it #1 among Tourist activities in Athens: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ns_Attica.html
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Didn't have the chance to check fodors for 2 days. Appreciate clausar and traveler an. My family is now excited with this trip. I know we won't be able to see much but definitely would go back again. I need restaurant choices and I thank you for that clausar.