Search

Singapore - accommodation in which area

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore - accommodation in which area

Hi All

Last minute change from Japan to Singapore for our two night stopover on our way to Europe. Can anyone suggest the best area to stay in (advantages/disadvantages) or even suggest hotels. Budget is around $120 to $140 however can be a bit negotiable. We just want to chill, do a little shopping and eat some nice meals.

Thanks
Andrea
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 07:17 AM

For me, the biggest factor is to be as close as possible to an MRT station. Singapore is quite compact, and the MRT is fast, clean efficient and air-conditioned. If you are close to an MRT station to can get to just about anywhere you want to go very quickly.

My favorite hotel is the Fairmont, though it will be above your price range. Take a look at www.agoda.com for good hotel prices.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:07 AM

We stayed for several nights at the Intercontinental and loved it. Not only is it lovely architecturally, but it's super convenient. It is virtually on top of the Bugis Junction MRT and connected to both a food court and other shopping, near Little India etc also . . .

See what kind of rate you can get there. If you are willing to pre-pay you may want to try to get the friends/family rate - which was kindly provided to me by Bob here at fodors. The link seems to still work if you want to try it. I think we managed to get a rate of about $150 us a night in Jan.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM

I like the Pan Pacific for the above reasons. Haven't been there for a while but I believe it is in your price range.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:45 PM

I would suggest the YMCA at 1 Orchid Road. It's near the MTR and bus stops. It is clean and quite comfortable. Breakfast is also included in the price. There's a McDonald on the first floor. City Hall is a stroll away, there's a park in front, and KopiTiam nearby. Have fun in Singapore.