Volvo European Delivery Itinerary Ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- I'm headed to Gothenburg, Sweden in about 2 weeks to pick up my new Volvo XC-60! I'm curious if anyone has thoughts concerning things to do, places to stay, must-eat-at restaurants, etc. I'm thinking about taking the ferry from Gothenburg to Frederikshavn Denmark to start, then driving down Denmark through Arhus, Odense, Ero, and Copenhagen before driving over the Odense Bridge to Malmo, then off to Stockholm and back to Gothenburg. I have 7 days to do all this in! I'm just not sure how many nights to spend where, but I'm thinking one night in Ero, one in Copenhagen, one in Stockholm, and the last night in Gothenburg. That leaves a couple of nights to spend elsewhere. I'm thinking of just winging it, since it's not high season, and staying in towns that look interesting. Any thoughts appreciated though!
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM

Here are my restaurant recommendations from a previous post: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...estaurants.cfm

Stockholm is a fabulous city, but a car will be somewhat of a liability. Also, you really need several days to see it properly. With only one day, you will be selling yourself short. If it were my trip and I only had 7 days, I'd just concentrate on Sweden.

Old Mar 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM

I picked up my XC60 T-6 about two weeks ago. I decided not to drive while I was there and took advantage of $595 dollar trip for two for three nights in Stockholm. Great deal, nice hotel, had a blast. I also booked my flight into Copenhagen and spent three nights there before flying to Gothenburg.

I paid for the Copenhagen to Gothenburg flight, it was about $170 bucks for two. Seemed cheaper and easier than the train and Volvo picked us up upon arrival in Gothenburg. I went to the Aero Museum outside of Gothenburg. I'm retired Air Force so had a special interest but don't bother if you don't love military aircraft. The city museum and the art museum in Gothenburg are both great, with the latter being world class. About a quarter mile south of the SAS Raddison hotel is the Gothenburg tourist info and the young ladies working there were a great help with sightseeing and dining (as well as being damn pretty). They gave me great dining advice. Had dinner one night at a Polish restaurant in central Gothenburg called Krakow and really enjoyed.

Gothenburg also has a very picturesque old town called the Haga. Great place to roam for a couple of hours for lunch. My wife really enjoyed to Swedish Design Museum in Gothenburg. I considered it my penance for dragging her to the Aero Museum. Once you get to the Volvo delivery center, I suggest making time to see the Volvo museum about three miles away. It was very extensive and interesting. Trucks, boats, aircraft as well as 80 years of Volvo cars are on display.

I talked to a couple in Stockholm who drove their Volvo from Gothenburg. They did complain about the 1 day wasted of their three day trip to Stockholm taken up by the drive and the expensive (200 SK) parking at the hotel. See the City Hall in Stockholm, the Vasa Museum, and I really enjoyed the Art Gallery. Made the wife go to the Swedish Army museum, but she really liked it. Skansen was a real disappointment in the winter. Only one of the several craft exhibitions were open and the place was just dead. Bet it is a blast in Summer.

Enjoy yourself, we had a great time. Just sold my old V70 XC about an hour ago to make room for the XC60.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:14 PM

We did the Volvo overseas delivery trip in August of 2010 and I would suggest spending more than 1 day in Stockholm. Copenhagen is a very easy trip from Gothenburg, or on the way to Gothenburg. I second agedude's plan of taking a plane from copenhagen into gothenburg, after sight seeing in Copenhagen. In the alternative, you can take the Helsingor-Helsinborg ferry and check out Hamlet's castle.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM

We are leaving in a month to pick up our S40. We will fly to Copenhagen first [with our Volvo ticket] and stay 4 days and then take the train to Gothenburg. [3 hours and $34 a person]. We will pick up our car, stay overnight in Gothenburg [our free night from Volvo] and then drive up to Norway. We will stop and overnight in Oslo, then drive on to Voss and do a Norway in a Nutshell tour. We will spend 2 nights in Voss. We will drive back to Oslo, stay another night and then return to Gothenburg [drop off the car for shipment home]. We will spend 2 days in Gothenburg, then take the train to Stockholm for 4 days [3.5 hours and $41 - there are faster trains for more $$, but we weren't in a big hurry]. We then will fly to Paris for 8 days before flying home [using Volvo ticket].

We also are trying for SAS upgraded tickets for either Economy Extra of Business using Optiontown.com. About $200 a person/per flight for Econ Extra and $450 for business.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 03:54 AM

DebitNM, Hope your trip went well. Did Optiontown work out for you an upgrade and were you happy with them?
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 05:56 AM

Hi Cajunblu- The trip was amazing and the car is great! Loved driving it around Sweden and Norway. We had excellent, early spring [warm] weather for the entire trip.

Yes, Optiontown worked great. We were upgraded to Biz Class on both of the transatlantic flights and it was heaven! Lots of room, actually slept, decent food.
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM

Are you kidding me?
We dropped off our new V90 on Nov 2, 2017 at the Factory. As planned. We confirmed that return date three months earlier when we ordered the Car.
ETD is Dec 20 at the east coast dealer.
What?
We have given the V90 a five day head start.
We are now in Lisbon to start a 12 day cruise to Miami. We will be home in Berwyn PA on Nov 17.
And the V90 arrives 33 days later?
The Volvo OSD is a quality program. Mrs Murphy has has nine Volvos. The V90 is the third delivered in EU.
A seven week delivery is a total failure of OSD. We paid for our car.
Where is it?
Old Nov 5th, 2017, 01:02 PM

Why this post from a first time poster - the OP was over 6.5 years ago?