toulouse - how is driving and parking

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to go into Toulouse on our way home from the Dordogne. We will either spend the night in Toulouse and leave the next morning or go to an airport hotel and possibly skip Toulouse. How is driving and parking there? Do some of the hotels in or near Old Town have parking available? We will be coming in on Sunday and leaving Monday.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:07 PM

Parking is not easy but there are several (paying) parkings in the center of Toulouse including one Place du Capitole and one near the Matabiau station. The shuttle bus to the airport leaves from the station.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM

The Wilson St-Georges hotel has parking. Not too many others do.

I don't find parking in Toulouse difficult - it's not easy on the street, but there are lots of underground parking lots. Driving is fine too. I suspect on a Sunday it will be even easier. We're usually there during the week, and we survive quite nicely.

There are a number of options if you want to spend an evening in Toulouse - highly recommended. Either drive in and leave your car in one of the 'Parkings', clearly marked. Then take the airport shuttle the next morning.

Or even easier, take you car back (I assume you will be leaving it at the airport) and take the shuttle from the airport into the city. It's a 20 minute ride, with several stops before you reach the train station. Then take the shuttle out to the airport in the morning.

Or you could even take a taxi. It's not a long way, and shouldn't be too expensive.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM

We've used the airport twice while touring the Dordogne-Lot areas and found it easy to get to - we stayed at the Fast Motel - very basic but OK for overnight! shuttle to airport etc so I drop the rental car off after checking in!

we took a bus at airport I think to downtown and back - not really expensive and quick and avoided parking which I think would be a hassle as pretty busy downtown!! hotel could help - also have caught a cab which was just fine also and pretty cheap!

downtown is worth a visit for a long afternoon and dinner maybe - expensive tho but vibrant with students and shopping and lovely square to chill out!!
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for replying. This is very helpful to me. Now I at least know of the great options available. Carlux, I knew you would know about a hotel with parking. You have been so helpful in my planning. Thanks to dsevig and Pvoy... for the shuttle info reinforcement.
Happy travels.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM

Another view- I don't find driving in Toulouse easy. I do it, and after 3 or 4 visits a year for 6 years, I don't get lost (too much!), but I do find the signposts poor.

Parking, as Carlux, says, is plentiful and well signed. The car park under Place du Capitole is immediately adjacent to three or four 3 or 4 star hotels. We nearly always park at the airport or an airport hotel and bus or taxi into the town. The shuttle is easy, but does not have frequent stops; but lots of the town centre hotels have their own bus link- the smaller ones share.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:22 PM

Bookmarking
Old May 3rd, 2016, 04:40 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
cybertraveler: You've topped/bookmarked several old threads today (this one in seven years old). Just a hint - if you click the orange and white <B><orange>+</orange></B> at the top of the page you can save a tread to your favorites (or e-mail it to yourself or several other options) w/o dredging it up to the top.