New Brunswick Vacation Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip to NH in late July, after the weekend there, leaving Sunday, we'd like to head up to Quebec/Levis for a day or two (5 hour drive).

After that is where I need some advice, from Tuesday AM - Thursday AM, will we have enough time to drive through NB down to Bay of Fundy area, maybe staying on Camponello/Deer Island or is that too much driving? I'd like to start heading back to NY on Thursday so we could be home by Sat. afternoon. Ideally 4-5 hours a day is ideal for us, as we like to stop and smell the roses along the way.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:15 AM
BAK

It all depends on how much you like to drive.

Me? I'd love the trip.

FRom Quebec City, drive east making a point to get to some of the little towns, insted of staying on the big highway.

Go to Mont Joi and turn right/south, so that you get to enjoy the New Brunswick coast.

FRom Moncton, follow the shoreline of the river to Hopewell Rocks, Fuundy Nation Park, and then back to highway one into Saint John and out again to St. Andrews, Cmpebello, Deer Island, etc.

Thursday gets you to Moncton, Friday gets you to St. Andrews or even Bar Harbor, Saturday gets up to New Hampshite or suburban Boston (Glouster for a lobster dinner), and Sunday gets you to New York City.

Thses are days of lots of driving, but the scenery will be nice, and there's enough time to stop for lobsters for lunch and lobsters for dinner several times.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's the route I was planning on taking, just didn't know if it was too much driving for 3 or 4 days. We really wanted to go to Gaspe, but that was way to far for that period of time.

One more ?, would you stay on Cmpebello Island or around Moncton to explore this area?
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 06:12 AM

If you want to explore the Bay of Fundy and the Hopewell Rocks (worlds highest tides), then stay in Moncton before heading towards Saint John and Maine coast.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I think I have this mapped out, 2 nights Quebec, 1 night somewhere between Quebec/Alma (any suggestions?), 2 nights Alma to explore Bay of Fundy/Hopewell Rocks, then 2 nights in Cmpbello Island before heading back to NY (one night in Boston to see a friend on ths way back).

Does that sound like a good plan? Any recommendations on where to stay?
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM

That will be a long drive if you go along the coast...you are basically crossing the province on the top, only to cross it again on the bottom! If you want to go along the North Shore, You could stay in Campbellton, 1 night, then on to Moncton...Or if you wanted to drive a little further, then in Bathurst...If you go as far as Miramichi the Rodd River Hotel is nice. Personally, I would maybe think about driving from Quebec, down the highway, but you can get off and take the River Valley route, which travels along the St. John River Valley...we have Grand Falls, which is really lovely, the city of Fredericton (the capital) in the downtown area is beautiful in my humble opinion. This would be shorter...although the northshore is really nice, but you would certainly need a few days unless all you want to see if road.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we will drive through Grand Falls/Fredricton on route from Quebec and take the River Vally Route.

When I did a google map, it looks like 4 hours to GF and 6 to Fredricton, so we were going to play be ear to see how far we could get in one day. This is where I was asking for places to stay. It'll be a Tuesday, so I don't think we'll need reservations for a place to stay that night.

What do you think?