Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

24 hours in Rio - What to see, and how to do it safely?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Buenos Aires and Rio on a business trip next month and will be travelling alone. I'm fairly well travelled (60+ countries) but a little apprehensive about the risk of robbery and violence in Rio. I've absorbed the usual tips (about not be decked out in jewellery and gadgets, etc).

I will have about 24 hours in Rio - one evening after my meeting and the next morning/early afternoon. I'll be staying at the Copacabana Palace. Any suggestions for what would be my best choice for a sightseeing experience - Sugarloaf Mountain maybe? Should I just hire a private guide through the hotel as the easiest option? Money's not really an issue since I have so little time and my other expenses are paid. Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2009, 04:43 AM

http://www.braziltravelinformation.c..._citytours.htm

Private Guide through your hotel if money is no object
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM

Sugar Loaf is good but if I had to choose one big one it would be Corcovado (Christ the Redemmer statue) only because the views are breathtaking.

In your case a guide would probably be the best way to go although Corcovado is very east to get to, just ask any taxi driver to take you to the Corcovado tram that will take you up the mountain.

Your hotel will have expensive guides, here is one more reasonable, Arnold, he speaks English:
http://www.gringomanagement.com/otherservices.html
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 06:04 AM

I would definitely recommend Corcovado over Sugarloaf with limited time, but you could possibly do both taking cabs.

If you have an evening in Rio, head to the Lapa neighborhood for Samba dancing. It's definitely best to take a cab there, as the buses are a bit seedier at night.

http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM

Corcovado is a very nice choice. You could go in the afternoon after your meeting if it's still day so you can see the Rio at the sunset or in the following morning.

You'll find nice restaurants around Leblon and Ipanema, which are just around 10-15 min by taxi from Copacabana Palace.

For a real carioca (carioca is the person born in Rio) experience I would go to a samba dancing in your free night, as Katrinab suggested. Nices place around Lapa neighborhood include Estrela da Lapa, Rio Scenarium, Carioca da Gema and Trapiche Gamboa. Booking a table in advance is recommended if you mind standing up for a long time. Try a caipirinha - our national drink. As you are concerned about safety and also to save time, avoid buses and get a cab, or go with your guide.

You could have a walk early in the morning in Copacabana beach, maybe including a stop at Forte de Copacabana, a fort at the right end of the beach, for a nice view of the whole copacabana beach.