Search

Solo traveller in RIo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo traveller in RIo

Hello everyone, thanks for the great tips you posted in this forum! I'll be a single female traveller in Rio later this month, and had the following questions:

1. How safe is it to walk around Ipanema at night? I know I should take taxis to, say, Lapa and to restaurants elsewhere, but does that advice extend to going from one spot in Ipanema to another place also in Ipanema?

2. Will every restaurant, bar and samba club be able to call you a taxi to get home, or is the custom to hail a cab yourself?

3. Is there any bargaining, e.g., for beach massages/food, and at the markets?

Thank you in advance for any helpful tips you may have!
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:34 PM

1. I would not walk around Ipanema alone at night.

Many taxi driver do not speak English, at least this is what I found out.!

2. Yes any Samba Club can call you a taxi, just tell the Club employee to tell the taxi driver where you want to go. Unless you speak good Portugese.

3. I have never bargained for the food...but why not !!

Percy
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:27 AM

hi, where are you staying in Ipanema ? A lot depends on that and how close you sre to the restaurant area. If you're various blocks from where you want to go grab a taxi, if one or 2 it may seem a little silly. But pay attention which street you walk on. DO NOT walk along the first street up paralel to beach it's only residential, all apartments so all residents have cars and there's no one walking about. The busiest street is the next one up, 2 blocks from beach. Walk always where there are the most people, that can be at times along the beach front but on buildings side or on beach side, if you are going to do any walking.
DONT wear anything valuable or that looks valuable, just carry what you need with you, credit card or 2, cash in 2 separate pockets, DONT put your purse in your bag. if for some unfortunate reason you do get robbed DO NOT, NEVER REACT.
Rio really isnt as bad as the press makes it out to be you just have to be careful, aware of your surroundings. If you havent been before i recommend you get a guide for your first main day or half day to give you tips, advice etc
Re samba clubs, right, if you mean proper samba clubs in lapa then yes they and restaurants will get you taxis back, make sure THEY also tell the taxi where you are going, taxis have a bad habit of pretending not to know where hotels are, and give you an idea of orice. Make sure they put meter on.If you 're going to a samba rehearsal then no there may not be anyone to get you a taxi back, so be careful what you do, get the guide to assist you. I wouldnt go to rehearsal alone anyway if i didnt speak portuguese. They are mostly in further out areas which you wont visit.
Bargaining, for food on beach and at stall, possible but not likely much discount, it's cheap anyway, be careful with what you eat, no shrimps on beach, careful with mayo. Bargain at markets, it depends if its manufactured products or hand made, ipanemas artesans will go down less and only rightly. The street markets more.
let me know if I can help more, if you want guide recommendations, restaurant ideas etc. Have fun in this marvellous city
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Percy & Gypsyluce! I will be staying at the Mar Ipanema, on Rue Visconde de Piraja, which is why I asked about walking ... I'd like to go to Bazzar, Zazu, Da Silva in the Ipanema district, as well as check out bars like Garota, Informal & Devassa. I was thinking of going to either Carioca de Gema or Rio Scenarium on a Friday night, in Lapa, but someone on another forum advised against doing this solo. As always, any tips and suggestions are welcome, and thank you again!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM

hiya, right, at Mar Ipanema, try and reserve a room facing the side street and not visconde, it can be very noisy, cars and buses all night, it's a good location, another good restaurant on the next street along is gula gula, salads and great foods all made to order, great selection and prices. Great coffee shop on farme de amoedo street called cafeina, nearly opposite devassa. Da silva is close too, but do that by day. Visconde is a busy street. Re going alone to Carioca da gema and Rio scenarium, id prefer the second to do it alone, but would be much more fun with someone, don't go wandering by youself around lapa area at night. Make sure they get you taxi back. Zaza is fab, Garota is good bar, food good but not fab, big portions, Bazzar is also good, but has mixed days. Carlota in leblon very good. Terzetto, very good.
Have fun and if need more help please ask. If need any help with transfers or guide recommendations please let me know.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Hi,
How was your trip to Rio. Did you have any trouble at Lapa at nite visiting different salons/bars. We are thinking of visiting Scenarium and Gema too. How do you rate them. Any other better suggestions. We like to try watch/dance the samba.