Search

California coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
California coast

I will be going to visit my daughter in the San Francisco Bay area next week. We are going to take two nights and drive down the coast to Big Sur. It will be my husband, our two twenty-something daughters and myself. Any suggestions for places to stay?
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not stayed there but Carmel Ranch Inn gets pretty good reviews.
I happen to really like Pacific Grove. I would check out places on line to visit. BTW~while in that area head to Pacific Grove to see the Monarch Butterfly grove. They "winter over". You will take a short walk and see a zillion monarchs!
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM

If you can afford it, stay at the Post Ranch Inn. If not, try the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel Highlands. Friends have stayed at the Glen Oaks Motel and liked it.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Good luck finding a room. That will be the weekend of the pro am tournament in Pebble Beach and a couple of conferences in Monterey.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

We'll be in the area Tuesday and Wednesday nights, so I hope the weekend events won't be a problem.

I'm checking out the suggestions here. Post Ranch Inn ($550 and up) and Tickle Pink Inn ($279 and up) are too expensive. I'm looking for something under $200 per room if possible; we will need two rooms.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Maybe Asilomar? They have rooms starting at $106. I think it's very family friendly and relaxing, and not too far to explore Big Sur and Carmel.

http://www.visitasilomar.com/specials_packages.aspx
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Try the Big Sur River Inn too.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM

What about Deetjen's Big Sur Inn? It is reasonably priced and looks funky enough to be interesting.

I have not stayed there, but it is a favorite with the friends' friends. We stopped for supper this past December and the restaurant was pretty good. Saw Post Ranch's sommelier having supper there too..
Just thinking out loud here..

Anna
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:53 PM

I'd stay in Carmel. You will need to book two nights and just make sure you aren't here Thurs-on because it's nutso time with the AT&T. Pam said Carmel Ranch Inn...never heard of it, Pam where is it? There is Carmel Valley Ranch which is exquisite but if you want the ocean, stay a few miles closer to the coast, in town. If you do that, you can walk to dining and shopping without worrying about parking. The Cypress Inn, Pine Inn, Normandy Inn, Adobe Inn are good places to check out. Also the group that has the Dophin Inn, Svensgaard, etc. (google them) are a good bet. Need more help, let me know...I'm a local.
Old Feb 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM

I just noticed that you're a family of four. You ought to check out Green Lantern for one of their cottages, such as the Evergreen or the Fireplace Inn for one of their larger places. Oh, the Colonial Terrace has some nice suites, too.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Consider Pacific Grove as well - it is between Monterey and Carmel. Cute town with a nice coastline and main street. I don't have any hotel recommendations, but it is a nice town and convinient location.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM

We stayed at the Carmel Valley Ranch a couple of months ago and loved it! The rooms are spacious, there is a nice pool area, the lobby has recently been remodeled and it's gorgeous. They have a fantastic restaurant there, Citronelle where we enjoyed dinner and breakfast. There is a $25/day resort fee. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Big Sur River Inn has terrible reviews on Tripadvisor.

I'm trying to decide whether we want to spend one night in the Carmel area and one night farther south.

Maybe we should go to San Simeon. Other suggestions?
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM

Checking Expedia, there seems to be still nice room availability in Carmel for both Tuesday and Wednesday next week. By Thursday, the pickings get slimmer.

So, why not do what you want to do and stay one night in Carmel and then one night in Big Sur (look at hotels in Trip Advisor - not B&B's) or one night in San Simeon.

I probably wouldn't drive that far if I only had two nights but if you haven't seen Hearst Castle, why not go for it?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:13 AM
SAB

The Mission Ranch is fairly reasonable and a lovely location.

Hi Tess--what is going on with Rancho Cellars? Stop by this weekend and it has really changed. BTW why when a poster states that the Tickle Pink is too expensive would someone recommend Carmel Valley Ranch?
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 02:35 PM

If you decide to go further south for a night, I would suggest staying in Cambria, Morro Bay, or Pismo Beach rather than San Simeon. SS is where Hearst Castle is, however there isn't much else there. The others are regular towns. Cambria is the closest - maybe 10 minute from San Simeon.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM

The Coachman's Inn in Carmel is within your budget, very comfortable, and well located.
http://www.coachmansinn.com/
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm checking them all out, it's fun looking at all these places. Still trying to decide between two nights in Carmel or Monterey and a night in that area and another farther south, such as Cambria.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM

Andril's Cottages in PG are nice and you can walk to the shore on the boardwalks.

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/56516389

Andril's website
http://www.andrilcottages.com/index2.htm

Also fun but basic is the Butterfly Grove Inn in PG. The Monarch Butterfly sanctuary is basically their back yard. You can also walk to the Lighthouse ans shore from BGI.

http://www.butterflygroveinn.com/

Do NOT miss Point Lobos...easy trails and stunning views like this:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/image/56550978

I'd be tempted to lodge in the Pacific Grove/Monterey area and drive to Big Sur and back as a day trip.

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Cambria has some nice Inns along Moonstone Beach Drive. Fireside Inn, Blue Whale Inn and the Pelican Cove Inn are a few places we have stayed. ***kim***

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -