hotel tropico latino/mal pais surf camp review

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from our fun-filled surfing Mal Pais/ Playa Grande trip.While most details have been covered in previous posts, I hope this review helps others in choosing between these 2 hotels. We are a couple in our 50's with 2 15 year olds who are avid surfers. When planning this trip I ended up booking with Mal Pais surf camp after discussing with someone who had been to Mal Pais and thought there would be more entertainment for the kids there. I usually always go with a hotel right on the beach, but in this case didn't. The surf camp's villa's ( we had #5) were roomy, clean, and even cool at nite with the fans going.The beds were very comfortable. Our shower had only hot water, they were suppose to fix the cold.There was a hammock in front with 2 plastic chairs, not very comfortable or inviting to sit out in. The pool was nice, but the lounge chairs surrounding were dirty.It is pitch black at night and the pool is unlit. The dining area had ping pong, pool table, and tv with surf videos. The food was reasonably priced and pretty good. Staff was very friendly. It wasn't very busy, maybe July is a quieter time. However, at night you can hear the cars driving to the restaurant and other villas since the villas are along the road and you park right next to them. Was also a dog that liked to bark all night. Then there's the 200+++yard walk to the beach through a horse field and you come to a good surfing beach. My daughter had her flip flops stolen the first time there and she had hidden them behind rocks. So now we didn't want to wear shoes on our walk to the beach! My heart was sinking about this place we had paid for for a week. I walked down the beach to check out Tropico Latino. What a PARADISE! Beachfront shaded hammocks, comfortable beachfront lounge chairs, lounge chairs scattered all over the place. The beach was cleaner, less crowded, and felt safe.Great surf right in front!With a hopeful heart I went to see if there were any openings and lucky, lucky us, there were. Here you park in a lot and walk to your villa along gorgeous tropical trails, monkeys in the trees. Villas are next to each other along the trail. Our piece of heaven (#5) was very roomy, beds very comfortable. Had air conditioning and fans. The deck had hammock and lounge chairs and light so you could sit out at night and read. Was very quiet at night.
The pool was lit at night also and was very refreshing. The food was very good. Staff very friendly, starting with the smiling reception guys, especially Richie who I could have kissed when he said there was room! The total feel of this place is lush green, tropical, peaceful, relaxing, wonderful. Even in the rain (which we got alot of) , you didn't feel cooped up sitting on your porch. In my opinion, you can't beat staying right on the beach, walking 20 seconds to the surf, hearing the waves as you lounge in a beachfront hammock.We absolutely loved the Tropico Latino! They only take cash though. Great place to eat across the street Zulas, and a little store .Fun chasing crabs on the beach at night. Surf camp refunded our money no problem! Hope this helps someone!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 09:21 AM

Thanks jentom for the very helpful comparison. They both sound like two very different places. I assume there is also a big price difference? Just curious.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Mal pais surf camp was $115 total for 4 people per nite. This was for the villa. I believe they have cheaper lodging too. Tropico Latino quoted $150 and then gave us a deal for $130 total per nite.
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

Hi jentom98,

We consider staying in Tropico Latino on our vacation in November. We have 3 kids: 16,14 and 11. Can you tell me if the beach is safe enough for swimming? are there rip tides?

Thanks,
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ganon family, When we were there the surf was only about 4 to 5 foot. I wouldnt have felt safe swimming out there without fins unless you were a very strong swimmer. If you just stayed where you could touch bottom it would be okay. However I think it would depend on surf conditions and how used to ocean swimming you are. I believe it can get pretty rough down there with big surf. The current wasn't too bad when we were there, my kids had no problems but they go surfing practically every day. If it's too rough there's always their beautiful pool!
Old Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM

Thanks very much for the info !