Search

Refund from Airline when rate reduced

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refund from Airline when rate reduced

Hello!

I bought a ticket on Airtran and the price for that flight has gone down since the purchase. One of my friends said that airlines will credit you back to difference to your credit card. She has done it with JetBlue. Has anyone else been able to do this? Would especially like to know with regards to AirTran.

Thanks!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
some do - some don't - and for some it depends on the fare class. You need to contact the airline directly . . . .
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM

American Airlines yes....Airtran I doubt.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM

What you would be able to do is change the ticket for a change fee to get the lower fare. But of course, the change fee itself is likely to be more than the savings, thus not worth it.

If you use Southwest Airlines, there is NEVER a change fee, which I find fantastic, although you always pay the current fare (lower or higher) when you change your ticket. But if your Southwest ticket drops by 50% a month after you booked it, you can change it and always receive the difference as credit voucher for future travel.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM

As Andrew said, Southwest has the best credit policy as far as I am concerned. You get a credit for the full amount you paid for your ticket and it is good for one year, booked whenever you want. It is good for anyone to use; you just have to use the confirmation # as a credit when you booked your new flight. This credit is also for flights that you cancel.

Of course, this doesn't help OP any. Sorry..
Debi
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:31 PM

You should call Air Tran before the new lower fare is gone. I would expect to get a credit or refund.

I got a travel voucher from United recently after I saw a fare drop. United gives you two options: a refund after subrtracting a fee, or a travel voucher. The United fee is $100 and the fare difference was $75 so obviously I went with the voucher.