Maine Car Trip Ideas

Search

Maine Car Trip Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maine Car Trip Ideas

We are driving from Michigan to Keene NH( where my son just moved) then heading to Maine. The map shows route 95 to Bangor, and also route 1 up the coast. Which is better? What do you suggest seeing along the way? I thought to spend the nite in Bar Harbor and maybe see Arcadia State Park. Also a trip up 93 from Keene.any ideas would be appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 02:22 PM

While all of Maine is very scenic, I would suggest staying off the freeway, only because one is pretty much the same as the next one.

I would definitely take Route 1 (my wife and I took that road all the way from the Canadian border this summer). Assuming you will be heading north, I suggest you stop in Freeport and visit the LL Bean (huge) retail store. I haven't been to Kennebunkport, but that has also been highly recommended.

Spend 2 days visiting Acadia National Park (and all of Mount Desert Island) and Bar Harbor.

On the way back you might want to stop in Bangor (you can see Stephen King's house there, if you are so inclined).

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 03:10 AM

The Maine coast is wonderful but my favorite area is the mid-coast area. There's never enough time so we usually take rt 95 as far as Brunswick and then get on Rt 1. Camden is one of the prettiest towns on the entire east coast. Drive up the Mt Battie auto Rd for a tremendous view overlooking the harbor. Bring binoculars. Rt 95 is a limited access interstate highway while rt 1 is the original that goes thru some downtown areas and is lined with shops, restaurants, lodging and scenery. The drive around Mt Desert Island is also beautiful. You'll have to go up to Cape Breton Nova Scotia to get as good a coastal drive along mountains. The view from Cadillac is fantastic. If you take Rt 95 you will miss the scenic towns like Kennebunkport in southern Maine.
From Keene up 93 has two options. You can take Rt 101 over to Rt 3 and then north to 293/93. The rt 101 section is a nice drive but a prettier drive would be to navigate a route thru small towns up to Manchester. Another route is to head to Concord ending up on Rt 202/9. You can take a cross country shortcut via rt 127 in Hopkinton NH take takes you over the flood control dam. This will intersect with Rt 89 but keep going on Rt 127 and take a right in the village onto Rt 103. This takes you thru some pretty towns and will end up in downtown Concord. Good area for lunch. You can get onto Rt 93 from either end of downtown. If you take this route, you will miss the pretty section of the Merrimack River and renovated mill buildings in Manchester. Either way, head north on 93 with the option of getting off to see a lake or continuing up thru the mountains. It could be a long day trip and you can make a nice circle. We have also gone as far as Littleton and then taken the route along the CT river/VT border that ends up back in Keene. If you head north up rt 93 you will enjoy seeing the mountains get closer and closer. There's nothing spectacular along the CT river just some nice farmland and some unexpected surprises if you do some small detours. For example, there's a unique chocolate shop in Walpole.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:38 PM

how long do you want to spend in Maine??
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 03:27 AM

The "unique chocolate shop" in Walpole, mentioned above, is Burdick's. In addition to a small candy store where their outstanding chocolates are sold, there is a restaurant which is absolutely fabulous; you'll need a reservation whether for lunch or dinner, and I highly recommend it.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Hi. It seems that 'better' is a question of perspective. We live on Mt. Desert Island, home to the largest part of Acadia National Park. Having said that, I would *never* take Route 1 until Belfast as I don't find it to be particularly scenic or quick - plan to add at least 2 hours to the trip and be prepared for yard sales, flea markets, two lane roads and motor homes. Please note that I'm assuming that you don't have a lot of time as you are only planning to spend one night in Bar Harbor. If you do have time to mosey, Route 1 might be acceptable but still over the river and through the woods. Keene should be six hours if you take 95 to 395 to 1A to 3. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help! We've decided to stay 3 nights in Bar Harbour and 2 nights in the Kennebunkport/Ogunquit area. I think we'll take the freeway up there from New Hampshire, then take the coastal road back down. Again, thanks for the advice!!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 01:47 PM

While you're in Bar Harbor, don't miss Geddy's - very good and fun casual restaurant - great lobster !!