COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

East Coast Road Trip

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

East Coast Road Trip

A friend and I are flying into Manchester, NH in mid Sept. 2006 and driving up to Bar Harbor, ME. What's there to see in between? Neither of us have ever been to the East Coast. Thanks.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
QC

Freeport, MEhas many outlet shops and the mothership L.L. Bean store, which is open 24/7/364.

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:08 PM

How much time do you have? You should spend a couple of nights in the NH Lakes region or around Sebago Lakes in Maine if you have more than a few days.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 03:08 AM

We like the mid-coast area the best so we stay on Rt 95 until we get to Brunswick. There's some great sandy beaches south of Portland but we like the craggy coast north of Portland better. The Owls Head lighthouse near Rockland is a very short hike ending with a terrific view. You also have the option of checking out a little rocky beach. If you simply stay on Rt 1 you're going to see some terrific scenery, the huge cranes at Bath Iron Works, beautiful Wiscasset with a crowd of people waiting to buy a lobster roll at Red's Eats. Rt 1 also takes you through downtown Camden. For a terrific view of the harbor go up the auto road to the top of Mt Battie. Don't forget your binoculars. This is a splendid place for a picnic. If you need a few bottles of wine, have a tasting at Cellar Door Winery (you'll have to check hours.) By staying on Rt 1 you will miss some wonderful side route down points of land such as Pemaquid lighthouse (see Damariscotta) and fun places to each lobster. The lobster shacks are only open weekends in September. Just Barb's on Rt 1 in Stockton Springs (just south of Ellsworth) has great lobster rolls, fried clams and a variety of pies. If you need reading material, stop at the Chicken House. The entire second floor is used books.
And there's hundreds of other places along your route. I forgot your starting point. If you're in a rush, Rt 101 to Portsmouth NH is quickest but kind of boring. Rt 95 is going to take you over the tall bridge to Kittery ME. Downtown Portsmouth is a wonderful place to wander with lots of good restaurants. OTH my choice route would be to take Rt 293 to Concord. This is a bit confusing because the airport is near Rt 101 which connects Rt 293 to Rt 93. For Rt 293 get in the left hand lane after you leave the airport. Rt 293 takes you along the Merrimack River with nice view of the renovated mills on the opposite side. Then take Rt 393 to Rt 4. This is a narrow state highway but pretty much 50 mph most of the way. You'll go thru Antique Alley (Northwood NH). You'll end up going thru some beautiful countryside past some old farms. Your first stop for seafood could be Newicks on Dover Pt road. It's a paper plate kind of place overlooking the water but open year round. Then you'll take the bridges over Great Bay and will soon connect with Rt 95. Mapquest seems to ignore this route even when I put in a starting point north of Concord.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I'm so glad dfrost answered with that great info for you! I can't believe, that when you are going to such a beautiful area of the country, the first response was to go shopping! Ugh!

dfrost saved the thread!

Karen