Places to stay in Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just hoping someone out there can give some tips on places to stay. I will be flying into BKK around midnight on a Friday, and need to find a hostel or cheap hotel. Also, we will be heading south to Ko Pha Ngan possibly Krabi, and hoping to find a clean hut on the beach. Any suggestions? Much appreciated!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 12:30 AM

You could try the "Atlanta" down on Sukhumvit Road as a place to stay the first night. But you might need to book ahead, given your late arrival. From memory it costs around 400 baht a (double) room, which is some $US10.

For the rest, I suggest you get hold of a LP guidebook and see what is on offer. A 300 baht room in Krabi should not be hard to find; huts on Pha Ngan should be a similar price if you know where to look.

Harzer
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:49 AM

whats your price range and how long will ya be in town (bkik)
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:11 AM

In booking our guesthouses for December, I have found the major problem is late arrival. Most guesthouses that take visa do not have the capibility to charge your visa without physically holding your card, so if you don't show up, they are left with an empty room. Your best bet for that late of arrival is booking the hostel/guesthouse through an agency that will charge you $1 but forwards a deposit. That said, we are staying at the New Siam II in BKK (750 Batt/Nt), which has received great reviews. However, we had to make special arrangements since we arrive after six. Also, if a guesthouse tells you to reconfirm your reservation, don't forget. I learned the hard way.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:21 PM

Finding a "clean" hut on the beach in Ko Pha Ngan may be difficult, especially if you are on a backpacker's budget. Many of these places are first come, first served so it will be difficult to book something ahead of time. Check out the Lonely Planet guide (SE Asia on a Shoestring) for up to date recommendations on cheap guesthouses. And beware that the closer you are to the date of the Full Moon Party, the more difficult it is to find a room on the island's main beach.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM

Hello,

I just got back from Bangkok. I stayed at the Swiss Lodge Hotel (www.swisslodge.com), which is near the Sala Daeng Sky Train station. It got it for $54 a night on www.asiahotels.com and I absolutely loved it! The rooms are spacious, very clean, comfortable furniture, sound proof and it included a wonderful breakfast. It is a small boutique hotel but still had all the usual amenities. I highly recommend it. I was travelling in Asia for 2 months and this was one of my favorite places to stay. The location next to the skytrain is great and it is only 1 or 2 stops from Siam Centre (which is the large interchange station). It is also close to the Patpong night market and the Suan Lum Night Bazaar

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:34 PM

IUHoosierGirl
I'm thinking about staying at Swiss Lodge in Sept. How were the size of the rooms? Was there enough room for storage-as in shopping? Is the skytrain real close? How about restaurants in the area? Any more information you want to give would be helpful.