Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

possible to visit Brugge with this itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally we have narrowed our choices down with much help from the wonderful travelers here! I hope you will bear with me for just a couple more questions (!). The following is our itinerary:

Arrive Frankfurt 23 Feb, rent car.

Feb 23: St. Goar - Hotel Hauser

Feb 24: Bochum - Renaissance

Feb 25: Koln - undecided

Feb 26/27: Vaalsbroek (Near Aachen) - Bilderberg Kasteel Vaalsbroek

Feb 28: Liege - Bedford Hotel

Feb 29/Mar 1: Brussels - Stephanie

Depart Brussels Mar 2

We have to stop at a cemetary near Liege before going on to Brussels. Would it be feasible to leave from Vaalsbroek, make stop near Liege at cemetary, then head on to Brussels? Or is that too much driving? I seem to have read that Brugge is a good day trip from Brussels. If so, we could spend last 3 nights there and do Brugge one of those last 2 days. Thoughts?

And if you see anything glaringly wrong with our current itinerary; you will not hurt my feelings with critiques! Thanks so much!

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Brugge is a very easy day trip from Brussels...only 50 minutes by train from the Gare du Midi, the train station closest to your hotel (which hotel on Place Stephanie will you be at? The NH? Bristol? Manos?)

Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Agree. Although I'd highly recommend an overnight stay (takes on an entirely different atmosphere when the day visitors leave), it's a charming city and definitely worth visiting. So make it an easy day trip from Brussels.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies; we will be a the NH Stephanie. Does that make a difference? (And we could spend one of those 3 nights in Brugge; perhaps the 28th?)
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Yes, we've stayed there ourselves a few times. It's a nice hotel (and provides good toiletries). However, for security reasons, ask for a room on the 3nd floor (4th floor American) or higher. The street it's on slopes and some of the rooms on the 1st floor and 2nd floor (2nd and 3rd floor American) are not that much above street level. Just something to think about if you plan to have your windows open for any reason.
If your rate doesn't include breakfast, skip the hotel breakfast and walk a minute or so up the rue Jean Staes (a pedestrian street) and have breakfast at one of the cafes there...Cremerie de la Vache, for example, or another one (more modern in style) whose name escapes me for the moment. You're just two short blocks from the Ave. Louise and all its shopping. There is a small grocery store around the corner from the hotel and pharmacy nearby in case you need one.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again for the wonderful advise! We have decided to drive straight thru to Brugge Thurs and overnight there. Then spend Fri and Sat night in Brussels. I have a rate of 140 euro for large twin room with canal view at Hotel Adornes. The Hotel de Tuilerieen is also available but for 224 euro which is really more than I want to spend. Has anyone heard of either? Both were rated highly on tripadvisor. Thanks again!

Shelly
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM

The quickest route from Vaals, via Luik (Dutch for Liege - that is what will be on the rad signs) to Brugge is 2 hours 40 minutes.
You go via Maastricht, which is also worth a visit if you have the time.
If you want a detailed route let me know. It depends on where near Luik you have to be for the cemetary.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Shelly - We stayed at the Hotel de Tuilerieen for 3 nights a couple of years ago. Excellent hotel. Great staff, very nice rooms (with AC, which you won't need in Feb but we did in Aug)). Extremely good breakfast buffet included. Great location - maybe 3-5 min to the main square. Would highly recommend it.
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information! We will be visiting the World War II cemetary at Henri Chapelle (grandfather is buried there). That was why we were initially staying in Liege. But now we will just go straight there from Vallas; then from there to Brugge.

hetismij, I had planned on getting directions from viamichelin.com; but if you have a better route; I would be thrilled to hear it. Somewhat novice drivers in Europe so happy for any advice!

BTilke, thanks for the heads up on the hotel; I have emailed them and asked for a higher floor; so fingers crossed! I don't normally open my windows in a hotel; but better safe than sorry!

dfr4848, I tried to convince my sister to go with the Hotel de Tuilerieen; but she's not convinced it's worth the difference. It sounds like you think it is though. Any suggestions on swaying her?

Thanks again; you have given us a wealth of information and it is very appreciated!

Shelly
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Shelly - it is really a very classy hotel without being pretentious. The dining area for breakfast is very elegant but not at all stuffy - think of classic Vienna-like coffee house/cafe. Staff gave us some wonderful recommendations for dinner (which of course I don't have handy at the moment). The rooms were exceptionally large - though don't know if we just lucked out or not. Any help?
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM

viamichelen is fine. It will take you past Margraten probably, which is where the US war cemetary is if you are interested. Maastricht is still worth a visit - much nicer than Luik!
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Actually; we were planning on seeing Maastricht one day while staying in Valaas. Lots of recommendations to see it and anxious to do so!

dfr4848 - I just noticed; we get free parking and breakfast at Hotel Adornes; but get charged 25 euro and 30 euro pp respectively at Hotel de Tuilerieen so that really made up my mind. Now its more than double the price difference. Too much for one night. We are paying more in Valaas anyway. But thank you for the remarks; I am going to try and visit it while we are there; it looks gorgeous!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM

What for havenīs sake do you want in Bochum? It is one of the ugliest cities in all of Germany!!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM

Brugge has some excellent B&Bs too that can save you a bunch without giving up comfort.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM

You'll just love Brugge,The most beautiful city in Europe.
Enjoy