best way to get from portofino to lake como

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Portofino for 3 nights and would like to visit Lake como for 3 nights. Would it be better to take a train or to rent a car? How long is the trip? Also we would love to stay at the Villa d'Este but find it too pricey. Any suggestions a step down from this hotel? Thanks Casey
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:17 AM

Hello Casey,<BR><BR>If you choose to go by train, the fastest journey time from nearby Santa Margherita Ligure to Como S. Giovanni is 3hours 15', - though some trains take much longer.<BR><BR>You will normally have to change at GENOVA (Piazza Principe) and MILAN.<BR><BR>You can find timetable details on<BR>www.trenitalia.it<BR><BR>Hope this helps ...<BR><BR>Steve
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 02:41 AM

We have always driven and find the freedom of a car, particularly in resort areas, more or less a necessity. It would give you the freedom to see things en route that you wouldn't have on the train. Stop, for instance to see the beautiful Certosa di Pavia on the way up to Milan and then on to Bellagio/Menaggio/Varenna where you should stay. Search on all three of these and you'll get lots of suggestions on hotels to stay at.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou!<BR>Casey
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 06:33 AM

We did the reverse of your trip. We drove from Bellagio to SML and as I remember the trip was about 3 1/2 hours. Looking back on our trip, we only used the car once while in Bellagio and that was to drive to Como for the day and in SML the car was parked the entire 3 days we were there. We enjoy driving and having the freedom to explore along the way so I would think I would opt to drive again. Good roads all the way. I would suggest staying in Bellagio or some other village along the lake instead of Como. Do a search on Mennagio, Varenna, Bellagio and you will find lots of info on places to stay, etc. Also if you elect to drive pay close attention to driving directions to Bellagio from the Milan side as it is easy to end up in Switzerland if you miss the exit.