Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving VT to Montreal , what's in between?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a driving trip from western Mass, western Vermont, to Montreal, probably Sept or early October. We have been to the VT/NY border and across Grand Island, North and South Hero and Isle LaMotte and will do that again. But what's immediately across the CA border to do or see? On my map is Saint Jean sur Richilieu, also Lake Saint-Louis, and Saint-Catherine, worth a stop, a stay on our way to Montreal? If it's scenic, we'd go slowly, otherwise the fastest. And yes, it's an American rental, going back to the US. Cross posting on the Vermont and NY forums - thank you all so much.
Old May 25th, 2024, 12:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine is a tiny contribution but I did live in the Northampton area, then up to Keene NH, and best of all Brattleboro VT.

I love the drive from Brattleboro to Bennington across Rt 9 in the fall. Stop at Hog Back mountain lookout/gift shop in Marlboro on your way. It's only an hour or so. Have lunch in Bennington.
https://www.hogbackmountaincountrystore.com/

Skinner State Park is pretty cool: https://www.mass.gov/locations/skinner-state-park before you leave Western Mass. And of course the Berkshires are right there.

Old May 25th, 2024, 04:25 PM

Montreal is not all that far from Burlington, VT. We have friends who live outside Burlington and years ago before enhanced security restrictions would drive up to Montreal for dinner and back the same night. Personally we've never stopped anywhere in Quebec after crossing the border heading into Montreal.
Old May 25th, 2024, 05:08 PM

Hi bjordan49

I like Saint Jean sur Richelieu, could make for a nice lunch stop with a pleasant park in Vieux Saint Jean with views of the Richelieu River and the grey stone Saint Athanase church in Iberville across the bridge. The Upper Richelieu Museum there was interesting to learn about the history of the river and city. Chambly I find appealing also with a historic fort on the water and a charming area of restaurants by the canal.

Daniel
Old May 26th, 2024, 04:41 AM
J62

Personally we've never stopped anywhere in Quebec after crossing the border heading into Montreal either. It's a short drive from the border to the city. Depending on real time traffic/back up conditions we will occasionally cross the border at the rural crossing about 5mi east of the interstate at Rt 276 (US side) / 221 (CA). It has fewer lanes, but if there is a backup going north or south we've found it faster.
Old May 26th, 2024, 10:26 AM

You can stop off in Sutton which is the Sutton Mountains.