Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving VT to Montreal, what's in between?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2024, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a driving trip from western Mass, western Vermont, to Montreal, probably Sept or early October. We have been to the VT/NY border and across Grand Island, North and South Hero and Isle LaMotte and will do that again. But what's immediately across the CA border to do or see? On my map is Saint Jean sur Richilieu, also Lake Saint-Louis, and Saint-Catherine, worth a stop, a stay on our way to Montreal? If it's scenic, we'd go slowly, otherwise the fastest. And yes, it's an American rental, going back to the US. Cross posting on the Vermont and NY forums - thank you all so much.
Old May 25th, 2024, 03:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
St-Jean-sur Richelieu is a typical Quebec hicktown; a Subway sancwich shop, couple of Tim Hortons, METRO grocery, and (I think) a furniture factory.

St-Catherines is a good place if you like scrap yards where you pull your own car parts, other wise, like most of the South Shore, it is a dump.

I keep my sailboat on Lac-St Louis, known in the past as Stinky Louis or Phooey Louie. You would have be desperate to make a detour just to see it.

Stay on the Americaan side as long as you can, cross the border at Champlain, hold your nose and to straight to Montreal