South East Asia itinerary advice

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2024, 09:02 AM
IVK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South East Asia itinerary advice

Hello,
I was wondering if this looks like a realistic/good plan for a month around Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia. Any advice on what to add/leave out or tips for getting around is appreciated.

Budget after flights ~£2500

Interests- History, Culture, Nightlife, Meeting people

14th of August- Arrive in Bangkok

4 days in Bangkok

Travel day - Flight, bus or train to Chiang Mai

2 days in Chiang Mai

Travel Day- Flight to Hanoi

3 days in Hanoi

Travel day- Train then taxi to Hoi An

2 days in Hoi An

Travel Day- Taxi then flight to HCMC

2 days in HCMC

Travel Day- Bus to Phnom Penh

2 days in Phnom Penh

I then have around a week until my flight back home from Bangkok- Any advice on what to do in this time/extend time elsewhere appreciated.

(I'm aware it's rainy season but it's then or never)
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:08 PM

You can skip Phnom Penh and add those days to Hoian and HCMC (3 days in each is better).
Old May 23rd, 2024, 11:04 AM

Sorry but no, I dont think it is a very good plan. I suggest sitting down with google maps or Rome2rio or similar and work out the logistics of getting around. There are some, natural overland routes that will allow you to see much more than flying between destinations.

Good that you are aware it is the rainy season, are you aware how rain it could be? If you are then fair enough, at least it will be cheaper and less crowded in many places! The only place you will see good weather is in central Vietnam so, you could consider spending a little more time there and visit , Hue and Phong Nha Khe Be (the caves are magnificent!). Think about getting the overnight trains between central Vietnam, Hanoi and Saigon. It saves usable time and accommodation costs and is a fun way to travel and meet the local people.

I dont know why #2 would suggest skipping Phnom Penh as it sone of SE Asia most interesting cities. I am surprised that you haven't included Siem Reap - Angkor Wat is a must for many visiting Cambodia.

Other things and places I would consider might be Ninh Binh , sort of Hanoi and reachable by train on the way to Central Vietnam. If you do retain Phnom Penh then consider flying form Bangkok to Siem Reap for 3 nights and then bus to Phnom Penh for a couple of nights and the perhaps get the boat down river to Chau Doc on the Vietnam border and then spend a few days travelling by bus and boat through the Mekong delta visiting places like Can Tho and Ben Tre and then on to Saigon. That should use up the additional week.

Old Jun 14th, 2024, 02:40 AM

If you have one week, you have more time to spend in Vietnam.
3 days Hanoi
A MUST : 2 days Lan Ha Bay. Open
https://orientalbridgetravel.com/hal...-budget-fr.htm
and book the COZY boat, perfect !
Express bus direct Hanoi-SAPA
2 days Sapa (hôtel Phuong Nam)