Private guide in Odenvald, Bavaria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2024, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a private guide in the area of the Odenvald (Bavaria)?

I am looking for someone who can speak English and could guide me for one day in the area (particularly in the town of Amorbach).

Kind regards!
Old May 20th, 2024, 02:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. What are looking for exactly . . . some sort of actual tour guide, or just a local driver? AFAIK Amorbach is just a small town - village really - so not sure what sort of guide might be needed.
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Welcome to Fodors. What are looking for exactly . . . some sort of actual tour guide, or just a local driver? AFAIK Amorbach is just a small town - village really - so not sure what sort of guide might be needed.
Hey, Janis!

I am looking for someone who could walk around town taking us inside the main spots (the Abbey church, St.Gangolf church, Templerhaus, Amorsbrunn chapel) and providing historical facts and explanations in English. I am aware that, in some places (for instance, the Green Hall and Library in the Abbey), one can only enter if joined by an actual tour guide. So, I am expecting to find someone for this sort of activity.

I have already tried contacting the local tourism office, but they only offered a visit to the Abbey church in English (all other spots would be available with a German-speaking guide). This does not meet our needs...
Old May 20th, 2024, 06:41 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is a very small place -- What you are seeking may not exist. I doubt there is much call for personal guides around the town. Out of curiosity I checked out the Tours by Locals website which can fine guides almost anywhere and they didn't list anyone.

I honestly don't think you'd need someone to walk you around . . .
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

I posted my question here, at Fodor's, because I understood it to be a travel forum. But apparently there is not much info on visits to this small town.

Before posting my question here, I tried contacting the Odenvald Tourismus (regional tourism office), but almost all their service is German-only, which is a problem for me, because I would miss all the explanation. That's why I am trying to find English-speaking private tour guides.

Again, thanks for you time and suggestions!!

Last edited by Moderator1; May 21st, 2024 at 07:56 AM. Reason: removed response to a deleted post
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:10 AM

I see there is an English audioguide for Amorbach. http://https://www.amorbach.de/freiz...audioguide/en/ using the audioguide.me app.
The German page tells you more - you can use a translator to understand what it says. Firefox has a direct translation option for instance.

Have you tried e-mailing [email protected] to ask if there is someone who can guide you personally?
Old May 21st, 2024, 03:30 PM

Hi, I assume you have seen this: https://viking.tv/tv/this-week-on-vi...e-leah-meixner

Have you contacted this guide to see if she can extend her tour? It seems reasonable that if she knows the abbey well that she might be able to take you further.

Is this for family history purposes? Or just because you want to see the Odenwald? (note spelling, a W in German is pronounced like an English V). I think the drawcards in that part of the world are Michelstadt, Miltenberg and Wertheim (which gets tourists from Rhine cruises). Michelstadt gets visitors to its Christmas market. The abbey in Amorbach certainly looks beautiful. There are hidden gems like this all over Germany, but Amorbach is not a usual destination for visitors from English-speaking countries so I am not surprised you can't find a guide easily. In fact I think most people here would not even know Michelstadt (but of course we are all very willing to help you ). If you do go, post a trip report so there is a resource for visitors.

Lavandula
Old May 21st, 2024, 03:42 PM

https://www.bergstrasse-odenwald.de/...e7de72b3ead2a7

... and I also found this, with an email address for you to contact someone. By the looks of the links I have found you, it looks as though there might be tour groups related to boat cruises (i.e Viking). So maybe with this email you will be lucky. Let us know how you fare!

PS if you have trouble with the German parts of the page, if you use Google Chrome there is a translation feature in the address bar. Or you can put Google Translate on your phone and using the Lens feature you can just hover your phone over the text and it will translate the German for you.

Lavandula

Last edited by lavandula; May 21st, 2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old May 21st, 2024, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Hey, heitismij2!
Thanks for this audioguide! I was not aware of that yet. Great!!
As for the email: Yes, I have already contacted them, but the tours offered are in German only...
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Lavandula,

Yes, I'm specifically coming to Amorbach for family history purposes.
Thanks a lot for sharing this Viking TV video. It's a great idea trying to contact this Leah Meixner! Will do!
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

And I'm sure posting a trip report as I get back!!
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello again, Lavandula,

I have previously come across this "bergstrasse-odenvald" website and contacted the Amorbach Tourismus Odenvald office.
The thing is that they only offer tours in English occasionally (and there will be none on the days I'll be in town).
Old May 21st, 2024, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

I mean "Odenwald"!
Thanks for the correction, Lavandula.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 12:32 AM

Hope you find what you're after!

Lavandula
Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:12 AM

https://viking.tv/my-viking/leah-meixner

https://www.brauereigasthof-burkarth.de/

[email protected]
+49 9373 593 8158

Here is your lead to Leah Meixner - she has a small hotel-restaurant in Amorbach, and she is a Brisbane girl (I am from Sydney). If you write to her maybe she can help you. Maybe you will even stay in her hotel

Good luck!

Lavandula
Old May 22nd, 2024, 01:14 AM

I just posted Leah Meixner's contact details here and it has gone to moderation. Hopefully they approve it and let it be posted here. If it's not here within a couple of days I will PM you.

Lavandula
Old May 22nd, 2024, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Lavandula! Following your suggestion, yesterday, I searched for Leah Meixner's contact (found out she is the co-owner of a restaurant in Amorbach) and she's just replied! So I'm already in contact with her. Thanks a lot for your kindness and helpful insights!!

As I get back home from this trip, I'll sure post a report here.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

What a generous helping hand you are, Lavandula! Thanks once more.

As I said, I've already got in touch with Leah, but it's great having all this contact info of her here for the case of travellers asking for the same question I had to begin with.

Have a nice day!!