Help with September France Trip please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all - I am set to do a photo workshop in Normandy - Sept. 15-21-ish. I haven't been to France in close to 20 years. I cannot wait. I just need to talk some things through, and I will likely add more questions as time goes on! I'm trying to decide at this point, where to go after the workshop, which is based in Cabourg. I've never been on the west side of France, and there are many great towns to visit; I'm just not sure the best way to get around, and would love your thoughts where you like to go in this region. I love French villages! I think I'd like to add 5 nights to the 6-night workshop. I'll arrive in Paris a day or two early as well. Dinan and St. Malo are two spots I'm considering. I've been south and east in France and LOVE the Dordogne, but I figure I should try some new places in Normandy and/or Brittany.

Additionally, any recommendations on hotels in Paris that won't break the bank (preferably under $200) near Hotel Les Grands Hommes? That is where we are being picked up. Looks lovely, but I'd like something a little cheaper. I'm only there to sleep, so if it's clean, it's good. Thanks everyone in advance.

PS - I just found Stu's Normandy/Brittany document. Many thanks, Stu!

Last edited by Rocket79; Apr 17th, 2024 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 10:22 AM

If you have a car, consider looking for the chemin des chaumières which is between Rouen and Honfleur on the southern side of the Seine.

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. I’ll look at this. I don’t think I’ll get a car, so probably looking at trains? It’s been so long, I have a lot to research.

Hotels in Paris anyone? Other spots along this stretch of France?
Thanks again!
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed in Dinan and St Malo and loved both places. They are very walkable and picturesque. I've heard Honfleur is lovely but haven't been there (yet). You could go somewhere like Jersey or Guernsey. If it was me, I'd just use public transport, we had 5 weeks in France a few years ago and mostly used trains. It can work out much cheaper for longer trips, on TGV, to book ahead. Lots of great info about routes, tickets, seats etc - https://www.seat61.com/

For hotels, what currency is that you refer to? Australian, Canadian, US, they all use $, and other countries do as well. It makes a difference to the cost. Try putting your meeting point hotel into Google Maps, then click on Nearby Hotels (at the top of screen). You will get a zillion hotels, hover over for price and star rating. That gives you a start, then you can look at hotel direct websites for booking.
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
We stayed in Dinan and St Malo and loved both places. They are very walkable and picturesque. I've heard Honfleur is lovely but haven't been there (yet). You could go somewhere like Jersey or Guernsey. If it was me, I'd just use public transport, we had 5 weeks in France a few years ago and mostly used trains. It can work out much cheaper for longer trips, on TGV, to book ahead. Lots of great info about routes, tickets, seats etc - https://www.seat61.com/

For hotels, what currency is that you refer to? Australian, Canadian, US, they all use $, and other countries do as well. It makes a difference to the cost. Try putting your meeting point hotel into Google Maps, then click on Nearby Hotels (at the top of screen). You will get a zillion hotels, hover over for price and star rating. That gives you a start, then you can look at hotel direct websites for booking.

Thanks, Kay! U.S. dollar. I did that very thing on Google maps, and a lot of hotels do come up. I was hoping someone might have current knowledge or experience with a hotel around there to recommend. It's near the Sorbonne, for reference. Our workshop is going to Honfleur, so that is covered. I will look at that link; I'd forgotten about that! Is it easy to get over to the islands? That could be fun. I'll look at Google maps again for info. Thanks again!