Search

Specific Advice - Train from Palermo to Valley of the Temples in Agrigento

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2024, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Specific Advice - Train from Palermo to Valley of the Temples in Agrigento

Hello...

We will be in Palermo next month and want to visit the Valley of the Temples. We're considering the train to Agrigento...then taxi/bus...but the exact details of getting to and from the station of the temples are not clear. My understanding is that if we tour the site from the Temple of Juno entrance to the Temple of Hercules, it's downhill and we can get a bus at Hercules back to the station. My questions:

We're leaning on the taxi option now. I assume finding a taxi at the station is simple...but how hard is it to find a taxi at the Hercules exit to get back to the station?

If we opt for bus, the maps on the bus company's website are not very clear. I can find the Hercules stop on the maps for lines 1 and 2, but not the stop for Juno. What is the exact name of the stop where the Juno entrance is?

Any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks.
ssander
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 01:30 AM

ssander, we took the train from Palermo to Agrigento almost exactly two years ago in April 2022, but we stayed overnight before heading to Ortygia the next day. From your post it appears you’ll be doing a day trip.

The train is convenient and the route very picturesque. We dropped off our bags at our B&B and took what we thought was the correct bus, but it was going somewhere else. The driver was very nice and told us to stay on, he’d get to the Valley of the Temples, but by a circuitous route.

On the return to Agrigento no one could tell us where the bus stop was. We waited at one spot, then were asked to go elsewhere. Waited almost an hour for the bus. There was no cell signal there, so we couldn’t call Uber, or ask our B&B to call us a taxi. The only consolidation was some others were also waiting.

My suggestion would be to tie up with your taxi to come get you after about 3hrs. No taxis were available at the site and signage for buses non existent. Don’t know if this has changed in the last two years.

But nothing could detract from the beauty of the site, the temples and location were stunning, one of the many highlights in Sicily.

Old Apr 18th, 2024, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.
ss