Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland help - Glencoe or Oban? Or neither?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2024, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m heading to Scotland at the end of August with a friend. We will be there 11 days: 2 travel days and 9 sightseeing days. We both like history, museums, nature; we dislike Scotch -blasphemy, I know.

I’m trying to work out our itinerary, which is a road trip starting in Edinburgh and ending in Glasgow. Right now, we are planning on 2-3 days in Edinburgh, then to Inverness. Inverness will likely be 2 days, with stops at Culloden Moor and Cairngorms National Park, among other things. Then on to Isle of Skye for 2-3 days, where we plan on doing light hikes (2-3 hours each), visiting castles and seeing nature.

This is where I am stuck. I don’t if I should work in time at either Oban or Glencoe. I’ve read Glencoe is beautiful but the hikes seem SERIOUS (~8 hour duration) and I worry that will be too much after several days walking around Skye. Then I was considering Oban but reviews seem mixed…like, it’s a cute town but how much is there to do? Would you recommend time in either OR would you skip that area and build in more time in Edinburgh/Inverness/Isle of Skye? FWIW, our last stop will be a full day/overnight in Glasgow before flying home.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oban’s main attraction is the access to so many islands by ferry. Mill and Iona are probably the main tourist islands, at least the equivalent of Skye for many, but there are many more.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 11:22 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Some random comments:

I would not stay IN Inverness. You will have a car so you can stay in any attractive village / town without staying in what is in reality a city. Traffic, supermarkets, industrial parks - and a nice river running through. Nice-ish as cities go but why -- you are in northern Scotland so stay in maybe Grantown-on-Spey, or Nairn, or Culloden, or anywhere on the Black Isle, or any number of other places.

Comparing Oban and Glecoe is like comparing Yosemite to Santa Barbara -- both 'worth' visiting but nothing at all similar to compare. Glencoe is awe inspiring and the nearby Glen Etive is if anything even more so. Yes, there are 8 hour hikes -- but no one forces you to do one of those arduous (and dangerous) treks. Between Glencoe and Glen Etive there are many reasonable walks/hikes.

Re Skye -- You'd better nail down your accommodations ASAP. It is insanely popular. and late Aug/Early Sept - even more so. I would not even consider Skye unless I had a minimum of three nights and four would be better. It is a very large island with very slow traffic and parking issues at most of the main beauty spots.

Unless your hearts are absolutely set on Skye . . . I'd consider Mull instead