Search

Dolomites in September itinerary advice please

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2024, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites in September itinerary advice please

Hello,
Always great insight with this forum and thought I would throw in our plans for helpful input!
We start in Belgium (planning on staying in Ghent for 3 nights) then fly to Milan for a night before picking up a rental car.
On 9/10 we go to Alpe di Siusi area and the plan is to stay in a hotel/resort for 4 nights to hike Seceda and mostly other trails up on the Alpe. Currently, looking at Charme Hotel Uridl as a village option and then Sporthotel Florapina, Monte Piz Hotel, Hotel Santner and Alpenhotel Panorama. All have availability right now in our price range - any recommendations or experience with these? Good food is important to us and my wife would like a decent spa area, nothing crazy fancy.
Then we leave to go to some mountain huts
9/14 Cinque Torri hut and hiking
9/15 and 9/16 Tre Cime hike from Val Fiscilina to Rifugio Locatelli and then to Rifugio Zsigmondy-Comici.
From there we go to Lake Garda for a couple nights and finish in Venice for 3 nights and fly back to Virginia.
My main question is it reasonable to stay at a resort up on Alpe di Siusi for 4 nights or better to stay in one of the villages like Ortesei or Val Gardena. I understand the lifts will take us to both places we plan to hike. Since we have a car we can drive down to the Seceda lift or take the lift down from Campaccio and then a lift up to Seceda for a day. Are we missing out by not staying in a village but rather up on the meadow and just hiking to various huts for lunch and then returning to the hotel for dinner. We are trying to stay in the 200 to 300 range for half-board and would like to rent ebikes for a day of adventure. This is our first time to northern Italy outside of a short trip to Lake Como and we are reasonably fit fifty somethings.
Is there another hiking destination or village that should replace what I have planned here? I feel fortunate to have the 3 nights in rifugios with two having private double beds and one a smaller shared room.
As a first visit, do you think we are getting a good taste of the South Tirol area?
Thanks for your comments and guidance - Ty
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 09:07 AM

Your plan sounds exciting - I'm not the same kind of traveller as you are so I only have one little thought. We recently went to Venice and it was my wife's most favourite place in the whole wide world. So its in this context that I'm asking.....is 3 nights too much? we didn't visit the surrounding islands so that is an extra 1/2 to 1 day AND if you intend on going inside all of the buildings that tourists go into then you'll fill up your 3 days but if you have any doubts about if you have enough time in other locations then in my opinion and the way that I sightsee this could possibly be a way to give you more time elsewhere....or not
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bhuty - I get what you are saying. I'm trying to put a relaxing 3 days at the end in a place we haven't visited yet but I could see us moving a day to Garda or another stop in the Dolomites. I just don't think I want to do many 1 or 2 night stops.
Thanks for the insight.
Old Apr 5th, 2024, 11:40 PM