Dolomites in September

Search

Dolomites in September

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites in September

We're going to explore North Italy in early September. Planning to spend around 4 days in Dolomites hiking and relaxing. Looking at different ares of Dolomites and struggling with which one to choose as a base.
Does anyone have recommendations on where to stay if the main priorities are proximity to trails, valley and mountain views, countryside setting. Will appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 06:32 AM

Search the site for many posts on this topic. Here is one that will help. The Mr_Go trip report is golden.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-honeymoon.cfm
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:07 PM

Mr. Go and Bobthenav helped me plan my hiking trip to the Dolomites for our September honeymoon. My husband and I are spending 4 days hiking, and we're staying in Ortisei. We're taking the train from Florence to Bolzano on Sept. 9, and renting a car there and then driving out to Ortisei. Unfortunately I don't have my paperwork with me so I can't tell you where we're staying.

Ortisei was suggested to us here on the forum because it's a little bit bigger than some of the tiny villages and has restaurants and places to walk at night after hiking.

Only 10 1/2 weeks until we go to Italy. Can't wait!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM

hikrchick has a great plan. The area is overwhelmingly beautiful.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the pointer to Mr_Go report. Helped a lot, but still need some advice from experienced Dolomite travellers.

We are travelling with a toddler who still naps during a day. Usually we plan our trips in such a way that we hike in the morning, he naps in the car after lunch while we drive to the next destination or in the base camp. This is why I'm trying to find a relatively central place which is either close to many hikes or is a great starting point to other destinations around.

We've found a nice apartment at Seis am Schlern. The owners say that it's the sunniest side of Schlern area what looks very appealing, but I'm still not sure if it makes sense to stay there for 4 days or break a trip in 2 parts and spend 2 days there and 2 somewhere else.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:16 AM

Hi BR - If you want somewhere central for touring - with easy lift access to trails and stunning scenery - I always recommend Val Gardena.

I generally base in Ortisei - the largest village in Val Gardena. Others prefer Selva - 5 miles up the valley at the base of the Sella Pass. Both are excellent bases - you can't go wrong with either IMO ... Personally I'd choose one central base for 4 days, rather than 2/2.

Seis is right on the edge of the Dolomites with only one main lift - so not so convenient/central as Val Gardena for access/ touring. JMPO ...

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 02:52 AM

Cortina best for most dolomiti.it
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the imput.

Steve, appreciate your advice. Will be looking for places at Ortisei or Selva for our stay.
Old Jun 22nd, 2011, 12:18 PM

We stayed just outside of Ortisei and thought it was a fantastic base for our brief visit to the Dolomites. We absolutely loved our hotel - the Uhrerhof (www.uhrerhof.com) in the tiny village of Pufels - and they welcome children. They have great food as well. I agree that it is best to stay in one place, especially with a toddler.