Search

India travel itinary and advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India travel itinary and advice

Hello,
We will be travelling to India for three weeks in the month of August 2024. We are a family of two adults and two daughters of 17 and 18 years young. We will arrive in Mumbai and leave from New Delhi and we will use domestic airlines inside India. This is my first idea of an itinary:
Mumbai - Aurangabad - Udaipur? - Jaipur - Agra - Varanasi - New Delhi
Is this a logical order to follow? How to proceed from Aurangabad by plane to Udaipur or Jaipur? Should we skip Udaipur? Any other suggestions? And is is necessary to book the airplane a long time in advance?
Thank you very much for your advice!
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are planning to take young women to India you might read these threads:

Yet another gang rape in India!
India still dangerous for women

You might also consider at least one train trip. See: https://www.seat61.com/India.htm

Varanasi is out of the way on this itinerary and you only have three weeks. Travel in India is stressful, you will benefit from slowing down.

Why are you visiting India? In other words, what interests you and what do you want to see? Have you consulted any guidebooks?
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 05:42 PM

The month of August will be warm. it won’t be like June or May but it’ll still be warm. We were there one year in the month of July and Delhi and it was pretty warm, but it was OK.

Though we have been to India nine times we’ve never been at any of those places you mentioned except Jaipur, Agra and New Delhi. How much time do you plan to spend in Delhi? It’s a fabulous city to visit with tons of attractions for tourists so I would advise you to try to stay at least three days.

Friends of ours, who are from Jaipur and who recently visited a couple of months ago, we’re not too enthralled about the condition of the place. I would say just give it a couple of days.

In Jaipur see the Rambagh Palace to get an idea of Raj period. Have a meal too. It’s amazing.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Mar 24th, 2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 08:15 PM

I was in Delhi and Agra in June. It was hot, 80s-90s F, but bearable. I ‘d guess August will be even warmer, in the high 90s, in the places you mention.

As for logistics— domestic flights, necessary travel times, modes of transport, what to see, or eliminate, based on time constraints , etc— I suggest that you engage a very knowledgeable travel planner. Perusing this site, you’ll find assorted recommendations, including the travel agency and planner i’ve used for most of my trips to India. Please say if you’d like his name.

My daughter, when just a couple years older than your teenagers, accompanied me on two trips to India, and loved it. It was better than she imagined, and different from preconceptions she had— which made it an even better experience . I predict you and your family will have similar wonderful, unforgettable travels there!

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 02:58 AM

My husband and I have also been to India twice and loved it both times. My recommendation would also be to use a reputable travel planner as CaliNurse suggests. In fact, I used the same planner as CaliNurse suggests and he is wonderful!

It makes a huge difference to work with someone who has knowledge of the country and can help to clarify the itinerary and make the appropriate arrangements, such as flights and trains, and suggest/reserve hotels and other accommodations. They will also provide a car and driver - and, trust me, this person will be your guardian angel, who’ll accompany you everywhere. And the agent/planner is in touch on a daily basis.

India is an amazing country though it can be chaotic so having someone to work with and smooth the way makes a world of difference.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by bmassaer
Hello,
We will be travelling to India for three weeks in the month of August 2024. We are a family of two adults and two daughters of 17 and 18 years young. We will arrive in Mumbai and leave from New Delhi and we will use domestic airlines inside India. This is my first idea of an itinary:
Mumbai - Aurangabad - Udaipur? - Jaipur - Agra - Varanasi - New Delhi
Is this a logical order to follow? How to proceed from Aurangabad by plane to Udaipur or Jaipur? Should we skip Udaipur? Any other suggestions? And is is necessary to book the airplane a long time in advance?
Thank you very much for your advice!
https://legendsandpalacesindiatours.com

A member here, a Mr. vp_singh Owns this tour company in India. You can give him a contact via private message per Fodors or through the website. We have used his services twice before and were very pleased.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 09:08 PM

There seem to be no direct flight for the summer month of August from Aurangabad to Udaipur. There is an early morning Air India flight with stopover about 3.3 Hrs in Delhi. This is the most logical progression of the Itinerary. Udaipur should be a part of any Itinerary for Rajasthan, 3 nights. The destination with all those lakes and monuments like the City Palace, Jagmandir Island; Hotel Taj Lake Palace give it an almost ethereal ambiance! Jaipur being a mecca for shopping should be included for a couple of nights. Sightseeing too is fabulous, Amber Fort taking the top crown.
Purchasing early Air tickets is recommended as these get progressively more expensive closer to dates of travel.
Happy travels!
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. We do have some experience travelling in Asia - Thailand, Cambodja, Laos, Vietnam, Myanmar... We like to explore different cultures, and maybe that's the main reason why we also would like to visit Varanasi. I must be reachable by domestic airplane?
And yes, of course, I have and I am consulting even more than one guidebook ;-)
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jacketwatch
The month of August will be warm. it won’t be like June or May but it’ll still be warm. We were there one year in the month of July and Delhi and it was pretty warm, but it was OK.

Though we have been to India nine times we’ve never been at any of those places you mentioned except Jaipur, Agra and New Delhi. How much time do you plan to spend in Delhi? It’s a fabulous city to visit with tons of attractions for tourists so I would advise you to try to stay at least three days.

Friends of ours, who are from Jaipur and who recently visited a couple of months ago, we’re not too enthralled about the condition of the place. I would say just give it a couple of days.

In Jaipur see the Rambagh Palace to get an idea of Raj period. Have a meal too. It’s amazing.

Thank you for the advice! We will take enough time to explore Delhi!
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliNurse
I was in Delhi and Agra in June. It was hot, 80s-90s F, but bearable. I ‘d guess August will be even warmer, in the high 90s, in the places you mention.

As for logistics— domestic flights, necessary travel times, modes of transport, what to see, or eliminate, based on time constraints , etc— I suggest that you engage a very knowledgeable travel planner. Perusing this site, you’ll find assorted recommendations, including the travel agency and planner i’ve used for most of my trips to India. Please say if you’d like his name.

My daughter, when just a couple years older than your teenagers, accompanied me on two trips to India, and loved it. It was better than she imagined, and different from preconceptions she had— which made it an even better experience . I predict you and your family will have similar wonderful, unforgettable travels there!
Thank you so much! I am sure we will love the country. But mostly I would like te be an independent traveller, as we have always done it...
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vp_singh
There seem to be no direct flight for the summer month of August from Aurangabad to Udaipur. There is an early morning Air India flight with stopover about 3.3 Hrs in Delhi. This is the most logical progression of the Itinerary. Udaipur should be a part of any Itinerary for Rajasthan, 3 nights. The destination with all those lakes and monuments like the City Palace, Jagmandir Island; Hotel Taj Lake Palace give it an almost ethereal ambiance! Jaipur being a mecca for shopping should be included for a couple of nights. Sightseeing too is fabulous, Amber Fort taking the top crown.
Purchasing early Air tickets is recommended as these get progressively more expensive closer to dates of travel.
Happy travels!
Okay, that's why I could not find a flight... I will consider how to solve this. Maybe we'll take the morning flight, maybe we'll skip Aurangabad from our itiinary. Thank you for the advice!
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, female, have been to India twice, traveling solo and independently. Ten weeks in 2001 and six weeks in 2010. Before I arrived the first time I was warned, by people with whom I was traveling across western China and into Pakistan, that travel in India was different and harder. I received this advice with some skepticism, but it turned out to be accurate. Of course, things may be better now, at least in the cities (or not), but my experience of India is that it is extremely noisy, extremely dirty, and over-populated with aggressive beggars and touts. (The situation is better in the south.). Of course, it also has magnificent scenery, excellent monuments and wonderful food.

I would not travel solo in India again. If I did not want to travel with a group I would arrange a car and driver for much of the time.

In August it is likely to be extremely hot. See: https://www.wunderground.com/calenda...DD/date/2023-8

Varanasi is absolutely worth seeing, especially if you can stay on the river. If you are flying everywhere I suppose it doesn't matter that it is out of the way.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 08:28 PM

Is Aurangabad on your itinerary because it's not far from the Ellora Caves?
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 02:32 AM

I agree with thursdaysd recommendation to get a car and driver. My husband and I are generally independent travelers, too, but India is a place we really did feel a driver and car are needed. It is an amazing country but it’s also very chaotic and traveling can be overwhelming.

I agree, too, that Varanasi is very much worth seeing. It’s also one of the most intense places I’ve ever visited but we were very glad we we were there. We flew from Delhi to Varanasi and took the train to .agra, which arrived 8 hours later than scheduled!