Search

Help me choose: Astotel George vs 34B

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose: Astotel George vs 34B

Hi, Fodorites.

Spending 5 nights in Paris in May, and trying to decide between a couple Astotels: the George and the 34B. I’m not as familiar with Paris so hoping for some expert opinions. Also, the George is a couple hundred dollars less, so I’m weighing that, too. Is there much difference between the area around the George vs the 34B? Both are ranked high on tripadvisor.

I’m a slow traveler who spends hours in museums, and prefers walking place to place. Walking 1-2 miles to get to a first location is not an issue for me. Also, prefer buses to subway, so I guess I’m asking which would provide the nicer experience out the door. If the first couple blocks is a bit drab, that’s ok, but I’m hoping for bright, somewhat clean and lively sidewalks to and from places. Also, as a solo woman, want to feel safe. Both areas seem fine, but let me know your thoughts.

Early plans are the Louvre, Museum of Decorative Arts, Palais Galliera (all for historical costume), and a day trip to Versailles. Will take Eurostar to London at end of trip.

Hôtel George - Astotel, 46 Rue Notre Dame de Lorette, 75009 Paris. Metro: Saint Georges metro, and Buses 40, 74.

Hôtel 34B - Astotel, 34 Rue Bergère, 75009 Paris. Metro: Grands Boulevards, Richelieu Drouot, Bonne Nouvelle; Buses 20, 39, 74, 85, N15, N16

Also, welcome any suggestions for hotels for a solo traveler for 5 nights. Ideal budget is 180 euro/night (incl. tax). Would love a character hotel, like the Hotel Chopin (not available for full duration of my stay, but may consider breaking up the stays). I’m an 18th-19th century history lover, so period details would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 08:26 AM

It's hard to know about prices and availability without dates. I would consider the Victoria Hotel, Cite Bergere. But I have not stayed there. Near Hotel Chopin.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 09:23 AM

I would prefer the location of the George myself. A lot. I really like the area around the St Georges metro/Trinite/SoPi. The other one is in an area I don't find as neighborhoody and charming. Yes, I would say the area is different but I know Paris pretty well, some casual tourist might not think that. Both areas are safe enough.

I don't usually stay in old hotels, but one of my favorites is near the Trinite metro (Hotel Langlois). But it's fairly close to the Georges so you wouldn't want to stay in the same area, at least I wouldn't. That Hotel Chopin is inside a passage and doesn't have good daylight, I really would not like that myself. If you like that type of thing, maybe you'd like this one https://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/
Rooms can be tiny and that's a fairly noisy intersection.

When I change hotels, like if I'm there a week, I prefer two different neighborhoods for different experiences and then I can plan sightseeing based on that, also. I do Right Bank, Left Bank, for example.

Your budget is pretty low for Paris, even my favorites are higher than that and I don't stay in luxury hotels (the Langlois which is very reasonable is more like 250 euro a night in mid-May). the Hotel Caron de Beachmarchais is over 200 euro, also, even for the smallest rooms. The Hotel Chopin is a 2* hotel so maybe that would be a good target.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the feedback. Appreciate the information. Will look at the Langlois. For my dates, that's well in budget for my dates. I like the idea of choosing two different hotels--that could be interesting. The Caron de Beaumarchais doesn't appear to be available, but looked great.