Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome, arriving on a Sunday. Anything/everything open?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We get in around 8am so will probably get to our hotel way too early for check-in. So we plan to stow our bags and then power through the day.

I've read the threads that have great suggestions for what to do on a first day in Rome, but I am wondering if anything changes when the arrival is on a Sunday. Does much of the city (restaurants, attractions) shut down? Are the markets (such as Campo dei Fiori) open? I'm curious what to expect.

For reference, we arrive May 19 2024 and our hotel is La Musica, near the Trevere and the Ponte Regina Margherita bridge.

Second question...I've been told that a "golf cart tour" of Rome is a great way to get to know the neighborhoods on a first day in Rome. Does anyone have experience with something like this? A golf cart sounds nutty in a big city, but what do I know.

TIA!

Last edited by cyndymcc0221; Feb 28th, 2024 at 11:51 AM. Reason: more detail.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 12:43 PM

I have never been to Rome on a Subday, but have been to Italy on a major holiday. I'd imagine a Sunday would be similar. Pharmacies and grocery markets were closed. I seem to recall most retail (clothing stores) might have been closed but was not looking for it. Shops with tourist knickknacks were open. Cannot comment on Campo de Fiori.

You may find that public transport, if applicable, might be on reduced or limited schedules.

Most landmarks should be open. If you intend on doing any sightseeing on your arrival day, plan for your luggage drop off, customs/immigration, transport from airport to take some time. I'd opt not to schedule anything firm on this day.

Golf cart tours: i have not taken them myself, but given the nature and layout of the city, I've heard that they are valuable and efficient, unlike HOHO busses.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 01:52 PM

We were there on a Sunday once. The Campo de Fiori will be closed. Many other places were closed also. But enough were open so that we had a full day. Just consult guide books and web sites to verify what is open & closed. COVID has changed a few things, so old guide books might not be correct.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 02:00 PM

I think Travel_Nerd is right, grocery stores and some retail stores will be closed. I can't swear to it, but I don't think Campo dei Fiori will be open. Some bus routes do have a reduced schedule.

​​​​​​I was curious about the hotel but couldn't find it anywhere. Did you mean the First Musica Hotel? Looks like that is in the location you described.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 05:01 PM

It's been a long time since grocery stores closed on a Sunday. Can't promise they'll all be open but in general.

Things that will be closed? Banks,post office etc. Not much else.

Of course if you go to a church it might be having services.
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 09:56 PM

Campo de Fiori will be closed on Sunday but many of the shops on the surrounding streets will be open. If it interests you, the Pope does his weekly blessing from his apartment window in St. Peter’s square at noon. No tickets are required, just show up. You can tour the basilica afterwards if you want.

If you like flea markets, you can go to the one at Porta Portese, open Sundays only from 7-2. Many of the larger stores on Via Del Corso are open on Sunday.

We have done a golf cart tour twice, using https://www.romeingolfcart.com. The owner, Ivano, gave us the tour both times; he is a native of Rome and full of information. The second time we did a food tour with him, both fun and interesting.

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 06:31 AM

My experience (as of last spring) is that the larger chain grocery stores (and what we might in the US call small “convenience stores”) are open on Sundays in Rome. It is only the small, independent green grocers and the speciality smaller chain grocery stores (such as Natura si, an organic grocery chain) were closed on Sunday.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

YES! First Musica is the hotel name. Thanks for catching that.

Last edited by cyndymcc0221; Feb 29th, 2024 at 07:48 AM.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 11:23 AM

I live in Rome and most things are open in the centre on Sunday except banks.