Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving by train in Loire Valley on a Sunday... no rental agency open... what to do!

Search

Arriving by train in Loire Valley on a Sunday... no rental agency open... what to do!

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did soooo much planning, but didn't realize until now that car rental agencies wouldn't be open on a Sunday. We're arriving by train into St. Pierre de Corps and staying in Amboise. Is there any public transportation available or maybe taxis? As a last resort, I guess we could ask the Chateau we're staying in, to pick us up. Anyone know how far the train station is from Amboise. We'll just pick up the rental car on Monday. Thanks for any help! Sandy
Old May 13th, 2003, 04:56 PM

I walked from the Amboise train station to the castle which is right downtown a couple of years ago. It wasn't more than a quarter mile across the river into Amboise proper. In fact I walked on out to the Clos de Luce as I wanted to see it and it was no more than a half mile outside of Amboise.

You should be able to find reduced train service on Sunday from St Pierre des Corps to Amboise. Keep in mind that there are actually two train stations there, St Pierre des Corps and Tours which is only 10 minutes further by train. When I was there a free shuttle train ran every 15 minutes or so between the two stations. You might be able to get better connections for Amboise out of Tours rather than St Pierre des Corps. You can check www.sncf.com and see what options are available.
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:44 PM

I've taken both the train and bus to/from Amboise from Tours. Just get to Tours or go there in the first place instead of St Pierre
Old May 13th, 2003, 06:49 PM

The Avis car rental at the St Pierre des Corps station is open on Sunday--I have my car reserved there on May 25. I believe they open up only around the time the TGV arrives. Go to their website and you should be able to find the info. We also will be going to Amboise but not till two days later as my husband loves Villandry and has to see it on every trip.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Maybe Avis in St. Pierre is open on Sunday in May but I called Avis today and they told me that the Avis in St. Pierre wasn't open in July. I'll try again tomorrow just to make sure. And, I'll call raileurope tomorrow and find out about their Sunday schedule to Amboise. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:28 AM

I remember picking up an Avis car on a sunday at st Pierre de Corps..I just checked the avis website and it is open from 3-7 PM on sundays. Then I put in a date for July and it again said they were open. You might try getting another agent on the phone ..some of them don't know what they are talking about, that's why i use their website instead!
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:05 AM

It might be a good idea to call on a Sunday. I would trust a live human being more than a web site.
Old May 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM

We dropped off a car at Avis across from the train station in Tours on a Sunday last June. It was late afternoon but don't recall the exact time (so fire me!) and we caught the train to Amboise. (Frequent and about 20 minutes.) We walked from the Amboise station to our hotel across the river (Manoir de le Minime) though there were several cabs. We cabbed it back to the station when we departed onward. Whatever happens with the Sunday car rental (or not), you should be fine.

Old May 14th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I will try another Avis agent. And Coco... we're staying at Manoir les Minimes. I e-mailed them and they suggested the local train to Amboise. Since we're leaving our heavy luggage at the hotel in Paris, it will be an easy walk to the Manoir. So, if Avis isn't open on Sunday, we'll do the train bit and pick the car up on Monday. How did you like your stay at the Manoir. If you can fill me in on what you like/disliked, that would be great. We're really looking forward to the Loire Valley. And, thanks to everyone for their input. I rely on this board for good advice! Sandy
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Sandy,
We just stayed at Manoir les Minimes in April, and we had a great stay. The views are beautiful, the breakfast was good and elegantly served in a beautiful dining room, and the staff was helpful. I don't have anything negative to say. Enjoy youself!