Search

help please planning trip NC Blue ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountain NP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2024, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help please planning trip NC Blue ridge Parkway and Smoky Mountain NP

Hi helpful travelers,
My husband and I , fit and active 70 year olds, will be traveling in early- mid April of this year and I'm trying to glean information from the forum, but several of the pertinent posts are very old. I'm thinking we will fly to Charlotte NC from Boston, rent a car and drive to pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway, perhaps around Blowing Rock. I know we would like to drive and stop for some hikes, and meander to Asheville for probably 2 nights, maybe 3. Sounds like lots to visit in that area. Whenever I have tried to plan to visit the Smoky Mountain Park, I am always stymied about where to stay. On the MNC side or the TN side? I know to avoid the touristy areas like Gatlinburg, but I'm not sure where we should stay for 2-3 nights. I would like to have some time to explore the park, and I've read about the Cades Cove Loop and NewFound Gap. What else are must see and do activities? And can they all be accessed whether you enter the park from NC or TN? Is April apt to be a busy time there? Should we expect rainy or nice weather in the area? Any recommendations on how to plan our time would be helpful. I know we are planning about a week, and flying in/out Charlotte but haven't booked anything. Nice-ish hotel recommendations would be appreciated too, or at least locations to look. Thank you!
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 02:26 AM

April is a great month for the Smokies for one thing in particular--the rhododendron will be in bloom and the place to enjoy that is Roan Mountain near Asheville.
We stayed at the Folkestone Inn in Bryson City to access the Park on one trip. It is an OLD style mountain inn--not posh but not too rustic. I've enclosed a link at the bottom. Brevard might be a good place to look because you could drive down the BRP from Asheville. It is the home in the summer of a renowned music camp for youth and should have very nice lodgings.

https://all-boutique-hotels.com/grea...yson%20City%29

Last edited by Gretchen; Jan 30th, 2024 at 02:29 AM.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 05:57 AM

Tour the largest mansion in America—the Biltmore Estate (250 rooms, $90 each for self-guided tour of house and grounds). Wander around the North Carolina Arboretum; listen to mountain or folk music; check out the Folk Art Center; wander around the River Arts District in Asheville.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the great link for hotel ideas! I had already seen folkestone through Trip Advisor, but interested in looking at the others and their locations, too. I'm thrilled to hear the Rhodes will be in bloom! Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

al great suggestions ! thanks! I had read about the Biltmore Estate, now I have a list of places to visit in Asheville!
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 05:17 PM

Hi imgwiz, I visited friends in Asheville in 2017. Here's my TR for some ideas:

Arty Asheville NC
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you TDudette, I enjoyed your trip report! Sounds like lots to see and appreciate in Asheville, and lots of good food. Since your report is from a few years back, I won't depend on finding all the same restaurants - but maybe, you never know! I also loved your mountain photos, gorgeous! I appreciate your link and TR!
Old Feb 5th, 2024, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

My current thinking is spend two nights in Blowing Rock, then 3 nights Asheville, 2 - 3 nights Bryson City to visit SMNP, 1 night Charlotte before flying home. I'm stuck on how much time to allot Asheville and SMNP. I'm sure one could spend a week in each place and just begin to see it, but we're squeezed for time. If anyone has thoughts on time budgeting there or with the whole plan, feel free to offer advice. I really appreciate the help!
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 02:19 AM

Decided I needed to check so late April would be the best plan. We've had a good bit of rain this year which may favor an early season.
https://cucurbitbreeding.com/when-do...nth%20of%20May.