Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Small town ideas, few hrs train/bus from London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2023, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of days after my brothers leave and before my daughter meets me in London, late September. Maybe get out a bit and putter around. Somewhere with charm, walking paths? I'm not interested in stately homes.

I am wondering about a small town or village, large enough for a B&B, inn, hotel, some place to eat, that I could reach by public transportation. Oxfordshire maybe? Somewhere southwest or on the coast? I've only been to Bakewell and Brighton.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 11:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Lots of choices -- look at Moreton-in Marsh, Charlbury, and Kingham each of which have train stations. I might choose Kingham myself -- it has two terrific B&B's/inns with destination-worthy restaurants/pubs.

https://thekinghamplough.co.uk
https://thewildrabbit.co.uk

Or form Moreon-in-Marsh you could take a taxi or bus to someplace like Chipping Campden , Stowe-on-the-Wold, or Broadway.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Nice! Thank you, Janis.
Old Aug 24th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Looking at a map of Charlbury, I seem to remember chgogal having stayed at The Bell awhile back (unless it was somewhere else entirely.) It looked just right, but I see it's closed for now.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 12:12 AM

Norwich?
Winchester?
Lewes?
Rye?
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
Looking at a map of Charlbury, I seem to remember chgogal having stayed at The Bell awhile back (unless it was somewhere else entirely.) It looked just right, but I see it's closed for now.
Hi, ​​​​stokebailey Yes, I'd stayed at The Bell in Moreton-in-Marsh several years back, and the room was wonderful--very large and quiet, charming furnishings. I loved my days in M-i-M, but I didn't do much in the town center so can't advise. (I'd only had breakfast in the inn, and had walked to over to the Batsford Arboretum then over to a stately, Sezincote, and I'd been on a tour with "The Secret Cottage," which is sadly no longer offered.) The Bell has some connections to Tolkien, and the Roman road, The Fosse Way, runs beneath the main street. I did have a nice Indian meal at The Spice Room, which appears to still be open.

Batsford has a connection to the Mitford family if that's of interest. (They're of no interest to me, but the garden design is.) Have fun planning--and I vote for Rye. I've never been but it's on the wishlist.

Signage from Batsford

Beautiful Sezincote, built in late 18th century
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 05:29 AM

If you go to Broadway, there's a nice walk up to Broadway Tower for some views. I was going to suggest Winchcombe for a visit to the incredible church with the gargoyles and yew trees, (and history!) along with Sudeley Castle, but oddly, I don't see an easy public transport option from London. (When I'd visited, I'd based in Cheltenham, which made getting around quite easy.)

Last edited by ChgoGal; Aug 25th, 2023 at 05:38 AM.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 06:00 AM

Maybe try somewhere other than the well trodden Cotswolds.

Rye is a good suggestion, or somewhere on the Isle of Wight? Romsey in Hampshire? Southwold? Further west than the Cotswolds into the Forest of Dean maybe? or into south Wales. Wells in Somerset or maybe Henley even.

What sort of walking do you want to do?
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 06:33 AM

The Isle of Wight is lovely--great ocean views and walking for the Needles, but I think would be a long day trip. Personally, I'd want an overnight stay as I found the Freshwater/Yarmouth area nicer for walks/history/sightseeing. Can recommend Weston Manor for an overnight. Wonderful and fascinating history there.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:20 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't know if a town with a population of around 20,000 is too big, but my first thought was Ely in Cambridgeshire. Marvelous cathedral ("the ship of the Fens") river walks, good medieval old town, and around 90 min. on a direct train from Kings X.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Aug 25th, 2023 at 07:23 AM.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon
Norwich?
Winchester?
Lewes?
Rye?
I am grateful for all of your suggestions. So many good ones, so little time.

I've actually had a hankering to see Rye for some time, as a fan of EF Benson's books about Lucia and Mapp. I'll start focusing there.
​​​​​​
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:26 AM

Plenty of nice places to go to in Kent for a day trip : Whitstable although there was a fire and some of the oyster shacks are no longer, close by is Herne Bay, a very nice area for walking along the beach, eating oysters, having a drink in a pub. Some highly rated eateries in Whitstable.

Deal, very pretty seaside town, Kingsdown is beautiful and you can walk along the beach or cliffs behind it. Great pub called the Zetland Arms. Sandwich is a pretty town for walking around. All good places for walking, fresh air, pubs,food. Deal has a castle and there is another one at Walmer with gardens.

Some of the below photos were taken in winter/spring.

Kingdown

Kingsdown

Kingsdown

Herne Bay beach huts

Whitstable

Herne Bay

St Margarets

St Margarets

Whitstable

Whitstable

Whitstable
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:29 AM

Rye - definitely agreed on that one.
Aldeborough, Suffolk?
Tunbridge Wells?
The Dorset Jurassic coast ?
Good seafood and an old English seaside feel to Whitstable?
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Maybe try somewhere other than the well trodden Cotswolds.

What sort of walking do you want to do?
I have previously avoided the Cotswolds because so trodden upon.
Have you ever seen that Adam Sandler skit on SNL where he's a travel agent? He warns can take you in a hike, but not make you the kind of person who enjoys hiking. I might talk about walking paths,
but any walking would be pokey and indolent, a few miles maybe.

Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Rye - definitely agreed on that one.
Aldeborough, Suffolk?
Tunbridge Wells?
The Dorset Jurassic coast ?
Good seafood and an old English seaside feel to Whitstable?
Balthy, BritC' Lovely. Thanks! I'd love a couple of days by the sea.. Will check these out.

Old Aug 25th, 2023, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful, chgogal. Thank you. Isn't this forum just so fine? 25 years ago, who'd have thought.

gardyloo, yes. Ely. I do prefer a town with more than one coffee house, for competition.

​​​​

Last edited by stokebailey; Aug 25th, 2023 at 07:56 AM.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 09:56 AM

Who’d have thought 25 years ago …..

that we would all been brainwashed to forget about wife swapping trips to the Caribbean and tipping the pilot on the way.

The corporates have taken over the asylum!
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 11:04 AM

Rye looks storybook pretty. I hear good things from so many.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Who’d have thought 25 years ago …..

that we would all been brainwashed to forget about wife swapping trips to the Caribbean and tipping the pilot on the way.

The corporates have taken over the asylum!
You made me look:
Swingers resorts in the US
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 01:55 PM

Who would have thought …..JanisJ giving advice on a swinging thread ….how we have aged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -