Airbnb vs. hotel in Thailand/Vietnam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids - 14, 12 and 10) traveling to both Thailand and Vietnam in April of next year. Looking at hotels, it seems as though we will for sure need 2 rooms in most cases. Airbnb rentals are much less expensive and more spacious, but wondering if anyone has experiences - good or bad - with renting a place. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Clearly not having someone help us book things directly is a downside, but we can arrange what we need before hand I think. Looking specifically at Hanoi and Bangkok at the moment.

Any insight appreciated!
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:10 PM

In Hanoi, I strongly recommend a beautiful homestay 2-bedroom suite (there are only one studio and one suite), owned by a delightful lady who also owns an Art gallery on the ground floor. You can use the cellar kitchen. The name of the place is AN NGOC at 14 Nha Chung St, Tel (84) 3 92 66 56 20 email [email protected].
Perfect location 5-mn walk from the cathedral and 15 from charming Hoan Kiem Lake and famous Old Hanoi. Many restaurants around.

I know plenty more in Vietnam, you just have to tell me where. I know none in Thailand, a country which I do not like at all..
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:58 PM

We travel a lot, usually for long periods and often mix hotels with apartment stays as it makes a nice change to have more space and your own cooking facilities especially when we are in one place for several weeks. Shopping for food in local markets is a passion though, in Bangkok and Hanoi, local food is so cheap and so good, most probably won’t bother.

Space and a communal area in an apartment would be a major plus when travelling with family and you won’t have to worry about having to book adjoining hotel rooms.

We have used Airbnb in South America, Africa and Europe many times though never in Asia . Mostly they have been fine but they are always vague about the actual location until you have paid a deposit which is a pain especially when it turns out not to be quite as good as expected. One negative is there booking conditions. Most places require a significant deposit which is only refundable for a very limited period. Only book if absolutely certain there won’t be any changes to your itinerary. I never book directly with an apartment owner and certainly would not pay them a deposit. If things go awry, you have no recourse. Whoever you book through, always pay be credit card rather than bank transfer or debit card.

In my experience, some apartment owners can be as helpful as hotel front desks, will recommend restaurants, help you book tours and transport etc. many also provide comprehensive "manuals" covering all aspects of teh location.

I use Airbnb less these days. 90% of my hotel booking is done with www.booking.com and they have been offering apartment rentals for some year now and I tend to book with them when I want an apartment. Their info, terms and conditions seem better as do most of the refundable options.

Old May 25th, 2023, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by sarahmann7214
Hello! We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids - 14, 12 and 10) traveling to both Thailand and Vietnam in April of next year. Looking at hotels, it seems as though we will for sure need 2 rooms in most cases. Airbnb rentals are much less expensive and more spacious, but wondering if anyone has experiences - good or bad - with renting a place. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Clearly not having someone help us book things directly is a downside, but we can arrange what we need before hand I think. Looking specifically at Hanoi and Bangkok at the moment.

Any insight appreciated!
I had no problems with my three different Airbnb condos/apartments in Bangkok. I've stayed at Airbnbs there since around 2015, I think it has been. I was last there in Jan 2020. I mix hotel stays , serviced apartment stays, and Airbnb condo/apartment stays and sometimes in the same cities and on the same trips.
In Bangkok and other parts of Thailand, there are plenty of serviced apartment buildings at different price points. They're run like a hotel system.
I first started staying at my main serviced apartment building the year that the law changed and allowed serviced apartment buildings to run them without a 30-day minimum-stay rule. I think the law was changed around the early 2000s as that's when I started staying at my main one for years of trips. It was Emporium Suites in Bangkok. It's super convenient, connected to the huge Emporium Mall with restaurants, a movie theater, tons of stores, and a huge super market and food court on the top level of the mall. Plus, there's a pharmacy inside the mall and also different services. Plus, the newer EM Quartier Mall is directly across from Emporium Mall and there are tons of restaurants inside.
Bangkok Bank is right out the side door of Emporium Suites, but still inside the office building structure so one doesn't even need to go outside to get to a bank/ATM machine. There is also a money exchange counter inside the bank. And the whole, connected complex; Emporium Mall, Emporium Suites, and Emporium office building complex are connected to Promphong BTS-Skytrain station. Convenient. Emporium Suites dot com.
Happy Travels!

Last edited by Guenmai; May 25th, 2023 at 11:46 PM.
Old May 26th, 2023, 10:23 PM

I just noticed that Emporium Suites has changed its website to chatrium dot com. Over the decades, Chatrium has opened other serviced apartment buildings which is why the website probably changed.

Happy Travels!
Old May 27th, 2023, 12:50 AM
mjs

Pretty much agree with Crelleston and Guenmai. There are hybrid sort of aparthotels like the Marriott Mellenium that have 2 bedroom apartments. The Conrad in Bangkok has something similar
Old May 30th, 2023, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 12:08 PM

You're welcome.
Happy Travels!