Best tour operators from India for European vacation package

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for good tour operators (preferably based out of India) that offer either group or tailormade European package tours. I have heard of Veena World, Kesari, Thomas Cook, etc. but wanted to hear first-hand experiences, especially for those traveling with a senior citizen.
Criteria -- affordable, good hotels & food, covers major destinations, and offers door to door all inclusive package.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 09:17 AM

Not an answer because I am not familiar with any companies in India, but a caution. Some of the worst itineraries I have seen were tours by companies in India sold as customized tours for families. They were the most convoluted, time wasting, expensive trips, obviously put together by people who had not really traveled to the places themselves. They tied flights and trains together in ways that did not make any sense.

A lot of international companies I am familiar with do very fast paced, bus tours. So, you must not just trust the company. Look carefully at the itinerary yourself. Look at travel times versus sightseeing time. Look at reviews for hotels yourself. Make sure the tour takes you to places you really want to see, etc. In other words, you can’t just think it is a reputable company so you don’t need to make any decisions for yourself.
Most companies offer a big range of itineraries and trips, some very good, some not, but that depends on what you want.

Are the Seniors handicapped or in need of a slower pace? It looks as if you want all luggage, etc. to be handled. Is that correct? Is language a consideration? I have not used them, but a lot of people recommend Tauck tours.

When you find a couple of tours that seem good or a couple of itineraries proposed by your travel agent, post them here and people who have traveled extensively to those places can evaluate those tours or itineraries for you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 09:42 AM

BTW, you say you want a tour that “covers major destinations.” There are literally hundreds of destinations which might be considered “major.” How long is this trip? With more information, people might guide you to some tours that you could show your agent for examples of what you want.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 12:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- one of your earlier threads received almost 70 responses. First trip to europe with mom

You seemed quite able/wiling to plan your own trip/itinerary. Are you sure you want an Sub Continent based tour operator???
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, yes that's exactly what I am looking for -- door-to-door service where we don't have to worry about luggage, transfers between destinations, booking museum or river cruises, etc. --- however, as you said we need to consider travel times versus sightseeing time, hotels, etc.

We are okay if we spend a shorter time at each destination (than we would on an independent trip) as long as it's not a very exhausting trip.

I will share any packages we shortlist for feedback from this group. Would love both first-hand experiences with these operators for European vacation as well as any other feedback.

One of the packages we are considering is Veena World Women's Special 15 days
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 02:37 PM

Sorry -- but that is a ridiculous itinerary

Just 14 nights on the ground and covering TEN Countries and claiming to seeTWENTY-FIVE cities. Do you honestly think that makes any sense at all??

2 nights London, 2 nights Paris, 1 night Amsterdam, 1 night Cologne, 3 nights Lucerne, 1 night Munich, 1 night Innsbruck, 1 night Padova, 1 night Arezzo, 1 night Rome. And it says you'll also 'see' Brussels, Tittisee, Schaffhause, Zurich, Engelberg, Interlaken, Verduz, Salzburg, Wattens, Venice, Modena, Pisa, Florence and Vatican City (listed separately to make it ten countries).

This has to be one of the worst itineraries ever.

You might as well just throw your money away
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 04:11 PM

I have to agree that the tour you linked looks like a nightmare, even if all of the travelers are very young. it looks exhausting. I can understand why you might want an all-inclusive trip but try to look for one that avoids one night stops and doesn't have you on the bus everyday seeing multiple places.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 05:45 PM

Explorer2212, I have taken several group bus tours to different countries in Europe because years ago, I put student and parent groups together and led the tours. Please, believe what Janisj and KTtravel have told you. I am going to say straight up, it is the most horrendous and ridiculous trip I believe I have ever seen! Based on this, I would not even look at anything else this company is offering.

You may not mind a shorter time, but how about actually no time in destinations? How about completely exhausting and seeing mostly the sides of roads and highways? How about no time to soak in even a tiny bit of the culture of some of Europe’s great cities? Parts of days are usually not very efficient. Small parts of two different days in Paris is bad, the Innsbrook, Venice, Padua day is nuts, one night in Rome is crazy.

Janisj, good catch to notice the OP’s other thread. So, to the OP, it seems your Mom has pushed for a tour and wants to fly by everything as if she is watching a movie. That is too bad because it would be so much better for you to make a reasonable itinerary and book this trip yourself. Choose your own, well located hotels and use trains rather than busses. Trains in Europe are great. Busses so often are slowed by traffic. You can walk around on a train. Is your Mom unable to pull a piece of luggage for herself? Is she nervous about being more independent?

Are the mountains in Switzerland very important to you?
If this trip cut the England/Belgium/Netherlands/Germany/Austria parts and retained only Paris/Switzerland/Italy, it could be possible, and you would see something besides highways.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 07:13 PM

After looking at some tours, there seem to be a lot that do this sort of whirlwind bus trip. They make a lot of stops without seeing much or have super long days on a bus. Look at Collete Tours. They have a couple that are, IMHO, not great, but they don’t try to include quite so many drive bys.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it and am aware that this itinerary is ambitious and the point about spending more time on the road (seeing highways) instead of experiencing the places is extremely valid. I am exploring options for what my mom would prefer-- covering major places (in case she is not able to travel to Europe again) and a packaged tour where we don't have to take care of anything (including carrying the luggage).

I think where not mentioned in the itinerary, the travel is by bus/coach with pick-up/drop-off at the hotel. I tried to estimate the travel times and this is what I came up with. While many of you would find almost the entire trip's travel time crazy, I am particularly curious about Day 9, which looks particularly exhausting.

Anyway, will continue to explore options but wanted to get opinions on whether the following estimates may be worse than what I have.

Day 1: Travel to London (flight)
  • Flight: Approximately 9 hour
  • Sightseeing: Visit to London Eye
Day 2: London
  • Sightseeing in London: All day
Day 3: London to Paris
  • Eurostar train from London to Paris: Approximately 2 hours
  • Transportation to hotel: Approximately 1 hour
Day 4: Paris
  • Sightseeing in Versailles: All day
Day 5: Paris to Brussels to Amsterdam/Rotterdam
  • Paris to Brussels: 2 hours (high-speed train) or 3.5 hours (bus)
  • Sightseeing in Brussels: Approximately 3 hours
  • Transportation to Amsterdam/Rotterdam: Approximately 2 hours
Day 6: Amsterdam/Rotterdam to Cologne
  • Sightseeing in Madurodam or Keukenhof tulip gardens: Approximately 3-4 hours
  • Canal cruise tour in Amsterdam: Approximately 1-2 hours
  • Transportation to Cologne: Approximately 3 hours
Day 7: Cologne to Titisee to Rhine Falls to Zurich to Lucerne
  • Cologne to Titisee: Approximately 5 hours
  • Sightseeing at Titisee Cuckoo clock factory: Approximately 1-2 hours
  • Titisee to Rhine Falls: Approximately 1 hour
  • Visit to Rhine Falls: Approximately 1-2 hours
  • Transportation to Lucerne via Zurich Lake: Approximately 4 hours 2 hours
Day 8: Lucerne
  • Excursion to Mount Titlis: Approximately 4-5 hours
  • Sightseeing in Lucerne and Lake Lucerne Cruise: Approximately 3 hours
Day 9: Lucerne to Jungfraujoch to Interlaken to Lucerne
  • Excursion to Jungfraujoch: Approximately 8-9 hours
  • Sightseeing in Interlaken: Approximately 3-4 hours
  • Transportation back to Lucerne: Approximately 2 hours
Day 10: Lucerne to Vaduz to Munich
  • Transportation to Vaduz: Approximately 2-3 hours
  • Sightseeing in Vaduz: Approximately 2-3 hours
  • Transportation to Munich: Approximately 3-4 hours
Day 11: Munich to Salzburg to Wattens to Innsbruck
  • Travel from Munich to Salzburg by coach/bus (approx. 1.5-2 hours)
  • Sightseeing in Salzburg on foot
  • Travel from Salzburg to Wattens to visit Swarovski Crystal World by coach/bus (approx. 1.5 hours)
  • Travel from Wattens to Innsbruck by coach/bus (approx. 20-30 minutes)
  • Sightseeing in Innsbruck on foot
Day 12: Innsbruck to Venice and then to Padova.
  • Travel from Innsbruck to Venice by coach/bus (approx. 4-5 hours)
  • Vaporetto water bus ride and gondola ride in Venice
  • Visit a glass-blowing factory in Venice
  • Sightseeing in Venice on foot
  • Travel from Venice to Padova by coach/bus (approx. 40-50 minutes)
Day 13: Padova to Modena, then to Pisa, Florence, and finally to Arezzo.
  • Travel from Padova to Modena by coach/bus (approx. 1.5-2 hours)
  • Visit to Ferrari Museum in Modena
  • Travel from Modena to Pisa by coach/bus (approx. 2-2.5 hours)
  • Sightseeing in Pisa on foot
  • Travel from Pisa to Florence by coach/bus (approx. 1.5 hours)
  • Photo stop at Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence
  • Travel from Florence to Arezzo by coach/bus (approx. 1 hour 15min)
Day 14: Arezzo – Vatican – Rome

The mode of transport is not specified, but it can be assumed that it is a bus or a private vehicle.
  • Half-day excursion from Arezzo to Vatican City by coach/bus (approx. 3 hours)
  • Visit to Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City
  • Travel from Vatican City to Rome by coach/bus (approx. 30-40 minutes)
  • Drive through Rome's historical sights on the way to the hotel
Day 15: Rome to India (flight)
  • Sightseeing in Rome
  • Travel from Rome to the airport for departure by coach/bus

Last edited by explorer2212; Apr 29th, 2023 at 02:41 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 04:13 PM

I would not waste any more time on this ridiculous itinerary. Which are the top places your mother wishes to see?
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 04:23 PM

I would be even more concerned with days 12 & 13. For example, day 13 is a minimum of 6 &1/2 hours on the bus with about an hour in Pisa, a photo stop in a piazza overlooking Florence and the Ferrari museum. Are you or your Mom even interested in the Ferrari car Museum? The stop in Florence is just a skyline view, absolutely nothing of Florence and that is so terribly, terribly sad! Realizing people are sold this kind of “tour” makes me just about cry. You are going by Florence and not even doing a walking tour to see Brunelleschi’s great, world class Duomo, the Baptistery doors, the gorgeous Ponte Vecchio, Renaissance art, etc. an entire day with only an hour in Pisa and a car museum? Why? Just why?

Why are they skipping great sights and staying in out of the way places, making it more time consuming to get places and impossible for you to do anything on your own? They could have skipped the Ferrari Museum (though I am aware this might be a highlight for some people, but for your Mom?), and given you a day in Florence. They could have stayed in Rome two nights rather than Arezzo.

When are you going to see Paris? One afternoon? So sad, No time for actually seeing anything, dare we hope for at least one great museum?
A bus drive by in Rome? Save your money, stay home and watch a movie. Truly, I am not trying to be mean, but to indicate very clearly what a horribly bad tour this is. I urge you to look at tours with more sightseeing time and less “Sitting on a bus seat” time.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Its bad

Just look at Day 3 (which is one of the 'better' days).

"Day 3: London to Paris
  • Eurostar train from London to Paris: Approximately 2 hours
  • Transportation to hotel: Approximately 1 hour"

What isn't mentioned is the time it takes to get from your London hotel to St Pancras Station for the Eurostar, the time to check in and clear Border Control, nor the one hour time change. So what looks to be a mere 3 hours from London to your hotel is actually closer to 5.5 to 6 hours in 'real time' so you have about half a day to see all of Paris since the next day is spent at Versailles.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 05:13 PM

What is included in this supposed operator "handling luggage?" I ask because EVERY tour I have been on, and I've been on plenty, their "handling" of luggage consists of taking the luggage on/off the bus/vehicle at each destination. Typically, the owner of that luggage still has to schlep it up to their room and back down (and rarely is there an elevator).

I'd read the fine print on that piece...

And this itinerary; no offense, is well, crap (sorry, I can't think of a nicer word). You wouldn't actually be seeing anything. For as much as it might cost you, you can truly do it on your own for less and maybe even look into a porter service in each city for your luggage.

But it's your money and your trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 07:21 PM

I don’t know if your Mom is pressuring you to do a drive by trip because she thinks she can see more of Europe that way, the criticism of the suggested tours is not helping with concrete advice of how to approach this or you feel too uncertain to plan on your own. With the hope it is helpful, here is one more attempt at addressing the problem

Here is an analogy to share with your Mom.
You are hungry and decide to go out to a fabulous restaurant, but you take a taxi two hours to get there, and it is closed, so you stand in front and take a picture, no food. That is like your picture stop in Florence.
You go on to another restaurant, but they have no space so they give you copies of the menu as souvenirs to take home. That is your drive by tour of Rome.
At another restaurant, they give you a tour of the kitchen, but again, no food. You tip the tour guide. There is your car factory tour.
This illustration uses taxis because every single minute you are sitting on that bus is costing you money. Hope this helps her see that just because you are going “to” a lot of places does not mean you are seeing them.

Your current approach of letting a tour dictate what you see is exactly opposite of what you should be doing. An example of how the tour you posted is backwards is Madurodam. Was that ever on your list of must see places? I doubt it. With only two weeks and only a few hours in Amsterdam, it sure would not be on mine. You should choose what you want to see, then select a tour that does that.

How do you change your approach?
Have your Mom (or you) pick three or four very specific things she wants to see. Don’t just say Europe or France or even Paris or Rome. What most interests you, and it can’t be everything because that is not getting you anywhere. You must somehow get a grip on things and narrow places down. Seriously, can you or she at least name one great building, cathedral, archeological site, landmark, lake or museum that you would like to see before you die? Do either of you have more than a passing interest in architecture, food, the Renaissance, any period or segment of European history, a particular city (must be able to say why), archeological sites? It does not mean those are the only things, but you need something solid to start.

Another approach. Choose three places (four absolute maximum) that are must sees for you and link them together by train or flights. If you have trouble linking them, post them here and people can help you do that.
The tours you post all seem to include London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Venice, some place in Switzerland and Germany. If you could see only one, which would it be? Which two? Which three? When you get to four, stop! That is it. No time for more!

Even though Fodors is more DIY travel, people might make suggestions for tours if they have something solid to go on as to your interests.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Apr 29th, 2023 at 07:27 PM.
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 08:18 PM

Not trying to be mean, but this itinerary is insane. You will be wasting a lot of money to see very little. That's not counting the sites that you will be too exhausted to see, meaning you travelled to that city for nothing. Not even sure why the tour chose a lot of these spots.
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to pile on, but that's not a tour, it's an endurance test, especially for someone too fragile to handle their own luggage.

Imagine what a tour of India at that pace would be like - one day in Kolkata - one day in Varanasi - one day in Delhi - one day in Jaipur - one day in Agra, etc. etc. Plus you will visit the most cliched tourist traps - do you really want to see a cuckoo clock factory or Crystal World or a car museum? Probably all shopping ops., and the tulip fields are only open for about six weeks in the spring. BTW, Vatican City is completely surrounded by Rome, you can walk between them.

Last edited by thursdaysd; Apr 30th, 2023 at 04:45 AM.