Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need help making up my mind - which Caribbean option?

Old Apr 3rd, 2023, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m having trouble getting excited for a tropical location for this years family vacation in late July/early august. Visited DR about 20 years ago and that was an all inclusive / it was ok.

Went in a cruise to grand cayman, Cozumel & Ocho rios.

Went with the family in 2019 to grand cayman & it was great.

I’ve been honed in on Aruba but am having trouble getting excited for it.

Where is a place you’d recommend without hesitation that a family of 5 (kids 13, 15, 16) that enjoys water sports, fishing, beach time & awesome food. Need safety & beautiful clear water..,

thanks!
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't give us a budget, but if price isn't an issue, check out Beaches Turks and Caicos. It's a wonderful family resort that offers all you listed above.
https://www.beaches.com/resorts/turk...icos_resort_bl
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 05:19 PM
J62

We love Aruba and have been several times in the last few years.
I’ve been all over the island and never felt unsafe or unwelcome anywhere at any time of day.

We prefer to rent a vrbo or airbnb in the Eagle Beach area as opposed to the stretch of high rise mega hotels further north a Palm Beach, but many families like that area too for the prevalence of watersport and excursion activities you can arrange right there. Plus a bunch of restaurant options (including a bunch of US chain restaurants).

Renting a car for the week will give you flexibility to explore the island yourself. You dont need a pricey 4WD / Jeep to do that. There are several good local rental car cos that will bring a car right to your door. Rates are $40 to $45 US per day, vs $150 to 200 for a Jeep.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 06:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am tuning in only to your trip dates. August is really not the ideal time to be heading to the Caribbean. Regardless of which islands you are considering, though some are drier and less storm-likely than others. You really do want to research typical temps, rainfall, humidity, likely hood of hurricanes expected for that time of the year.
Old Apr 13th, 2023, 05:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
<<Where is a place you’d recommend without hesitation that a family of 5 (kids 13, 15, 16) that enjoys water sports, fishing, beach time & awesome food. Need safety & beautiful clear water..,>>

Puerto Rico checks off a lot of your requirements.

Old Apr 13th, 2023, 09:26 AM

August is not a bad time to visit Aruba, either. Why aren't you excited about it?