Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help me plan a trip to the Carribean :)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2023, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My significant other turns 70 at the end of June and I wanted to plan a short trip (4 days +/- ) to the Carribean (flying out of NYC). I have been to a few places (US Virgin Islands, Barabados and St. Martin) but it was so long ago, my trip planning experience does't count! I was thinking of the Bahamas - because of proximity and also because neither of us have been there, but I am open to all suggestions of where to visit and where to stay , unique and off the beaten path as well as all inclusive places. Please also let me know if you recommend renting a car.
Thank you!
Old Apr 14th, 2023, 05:29 PM

What size budget do you have for air fare, accommodations, meals and activities for this trip? Please give specific dollar range not some nebulous terms like “affordable”, “ not over the top” or “ won’t break the bank. What kind of activities interest you?

The more info you can give us about your likes and dislikes the easier it will be to help you narrow down your search. Right now the only thing you’ve really told us is that you want something “unique and off the beaten path as well as all inclusive places” which basically describes every Caribbean destination. You need to help us narrow things down.

With only 4 days you’ll want to choose a destination that is easy to get to and doesn’t require a very long flight. Fortunately, from NYC airports there are a great many places you can reach non-stop in a few hours.
Old Apr 15th, 2023, 09:58 AM

Not, of course, the Caribbean, but you might want to include Bermuda in your possibilities. Short flight from NY.
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 02:26 AM

Hello Dausy54

How about Curacao? The island is not too big and you can easily explore this beautiful Caribbean island by rental car and there are beautiful places to snorkel and marvel at the underwater world.

Have a great trip!
Martin
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas about Bermuda and Curacao. I will definitely explore those ideas!
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 04:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
https://www.tensingpen.com/
In Negril Jamaica. 90 mins by taxi/shuttle from Montego Bay airport. It's certainly "unique" and a bit but not too far "off the beaten path". Not sure their food plan if any but they do have a lovely restaurant and there are a number of others nearby or in town or on the beach. Know they helped arrange airport transportation and island tours.
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 03:17 PM

Yeah, I'd pick Curaçao over Jamaica any day.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Bermuda is a great idea, short flight from NY, great time of year to go and perfect for special birthday. It is so charming and pretty.

Turks & Caicos as well, great beaches and great hotels, short flight, similar to the Bahamas in terrain. Not unique or off the beaten track, AI is not recommended as there is no need. Great restaurants are everywhere. Not much to do or see on the island, its all about the beach and the sea, swimming, snorkelling, boat trips etc. A dry scrubby island.

St Lucia has a beautiful south with the Pitons, very green and beautiful, you'll find lots of hotel options, some with AI.

Antigua has several great hotels with AI, historical sights such as Nelsons Dockyard. Alot of islands could fit the bill. Curacao I'm not sure though, although I did like it I think you need a bit more time to see it.
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dausy54
My significant other turns 70 at the end of June and I wanted to plan a short trip (4 days +/- ) to the Carribean (flying out of NYC). I have been to a few places (US Virgin Islands, Barabados and St. Martin) but it was so long ago, my trip planning experience does't count! I was thinking of the Bahamas - because of proximity and also because neither of us have been there, but I am open to all suggestions of where to visit and where to stay , unique and off the beaten path as well as all inclusive places. Please also let me know if you recommend renting a car.
Thank you!
I just came back from exuma Bahamas, it was awesome! Rent a car for sure and we got a beach house in rolleville. We rented a private boat to take us out for two days and he was reasonable and professional and genuine. He is under the name of crazy Bahamian name Perez wright. He took us all over, cannonball grotto, swimming pigs and the clearest water you have ever seen.