Madeira Portugal

Search

Madeira Portugal

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2023, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madeira Portugal

We are planning a 2 1/2 week in Portugal in May. We thought of spending our first 3 nights in Lisbon and doing someday trips. Then, head to Madeira for 3-4 nights. We are looking for information on lodging ideas, favorite hikes, and the best highlight of the island.
Thanks - I look forward to Fodorites tips.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 02:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd recommend that you stay in Funchal itself which will give you lots of choice of hotels and restaurants. I prefer the Hotel Porto Santa Maria for its location by the beach and right next door to the cable car up to Monte. There are lots of restaurants across the road and it's close to the old town and market. It has its own parking garage if you hire a car., nice pool and good restaurant.

Madeira isn't an enormous island and a car will take you across the island in less than an hour. Madeira has a feature known as Levadas, which are old irrigation channels in the hills adapted to walking. They offer spectacular views and wonderful countryside viatas across the island down to the sea.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 10:53 AM

The Funchal Botanical Gardens spread down a dramatic gully above the main part of the city. The lush greenery is enticing itself and also is framed with history. The steep paths pass displays locating the sources of the plant life. Since much came from faraway lands, the walk becomes a tour of the widespread colonial history of Portugal, always a nautical trading country. It makes sense to start at the top, where the funicular stops, but there is some parking there for cars. Do be aware that anywhere you walk on this old volcano island will be going up or down; it's all hilly.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Great tips!!. Is it possible to get around all of madeira on electric bikes or shall we rent a car? Is 3 nights a good amount of time on madeira?
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I would appreciate some additional lodging ideas. Porto Santa Maria is booked. Our budget is around $275
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

We will be ending our 2 week Portugal trip with 3 days in Lisbon. I would like to stay in the historic district but would appreciate some recommendations on hotels there.
Thanks-