Search

My favourite places in South America

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My favourite places in South America

Hi
I am new here but have dipped into the forums occasionally and thought some might be interested in some personal views and favourite places I’d recommend in South America.

i’m currently in Colombia and drove from Bucaramanga to Barichara, a slow trip because of all the trucks, but it goes through a really huge and spectacular canyon. I loved Barichara and its surrounding countryside, small, perfectly preserved, but a real living town and not many foreign tourists.
Salento is much more touristy but the mountains and lush countryside are supremely beautiful.

i also loved Cartagena, yes it is hot, but really magnificent. I splurged and stayed at the Sofitel in the old city. Fantastic, worth every cent.
That is all I have seen in Colombia, as I have also been in Guatemala and Panama- loved them both. I should come back.

Some other places I have really loved - Salta in Argentina and everything north west up to Bolivia. Spectacular and colourful and not over touristed. Iguassu of course.

Ouro Preto in Brazil. A magnificent well preserved colonial town in Minas Gerais, lovely mountain scenery. Paraty on the gorgeous tropical coast, though it rained a lot. Can do boat trips from there.

Chile - every bit from top to bottom. The Lake District is gorgeous but good weather is essential to see the beautiful colours of the lakes. Do the Lakes Crossing into Argentina and hope for good weather.

The drive into Chile from Mendoza in Argentina through the high Andes.
Patagonia on both the Chile and Argentine sides.

Peru is unwise at present but if it improves don’t miss Arequipa, a beautiful city, and the fantastic drive to the Colca Canyon.

I have many favourite places in Mexico too, especially the Copper Canyon but thats all for now.