Tuscany in April/May, 2023

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello travelers. We are two seniors planning a trip to Tuscany during the last week of April into May. We will be flying overnight from Boston on SwissAir, arriving in Florence at about 2pm. The layovers in Zurich are no longer than 1 hour and forty minutes. Is this enough time to catch connections in Zurich Airport? We hope to get transportation from the airport to the Hotel Berchielli for a two-night stay. Does anyone have any experience with this particular hotel? Do Florence hotels offer transportation services from the airport? Can anyone suggest a good tour of Florence for Day 2?

After the two nights in Florence, we will be renting a car from our hotel and heading south to the Hotel Athena in Siena for three nights.Any experience with Hotel Athena? During this time, we would like to see some small towns within about 30 or so miles of Siena as our home base. San Gimignano, Volterra, Montepulciano, and perhaps Cinque Terra. Any others that can be recommended? Verrazzano Vineyard has been suggested as a half-day stop. Any experience with this vineyard location?

After our three-night visit to Siena, we will be returning to Florence for a short pre-return-flight stay, again at Hotel Berchielli. Any other hotel suggestions for the end of the vacation? Also, Is driving difficult in Florence or Siena? Do Tuscany travelers have success flying into Pisa Airport, and just day-tripping into Florence? Will we need an International License for the car travel?

Any information relative to the above will be appreciated. As well as anything that I am missing, which is undoubtedly much. Thank you.

Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:39 AM

If the tickets were purchased together, then the airline considers that ample time to make a transfer. I'd have no qualms about that amount if time in Zurich.
Yes, you need an international drivers permit, and make sure you understand ZTL. If you don't know what that means, there are numerous websites that explain it--it is especially helpful to learn what the signs look like. Ask the hotel about transfers, but taxi will not break the bank.
For such a short stay, not sure I'd bother with the car. Siena is linked to Florence by bus, and you could probably pay considerably less than a rental for a driver to take you around.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yorkshire
If the tickets were purchased together, then the airline considers that ample time to make a transfer. I'd have no qualms about that amount if time in Zurich.
Yes, you need an international drivers permit, and make sure you understand ZTL. If you don't know what that means, there are numerous websites that explain it--it is especially helpful to learn what the signs look like. Ask the hotel about transfers, but taxi will not break the bank.
For such a short stay, not sure I'd bother with the car. Siena is linked to Florence by bus, and you could probably pay considerably less than a rental for a driver to take you around.
Thank you, yorkshire. Very helpful.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cinque Terre is a fair way away, I'd focus on just the local amazing towns of which you have mentioned only a few
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 01:25 PM

This is pre-covid info, but see if Pisa invites:

In Defense of Pisa

Have a great time and remember that bus and train travel are waaay easier in Italy than the US.
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 04:43 PM

We stayed at Hotel Athena for five nights this past fall, and very much enjoyed our stay. The rooms were nice, the staff helpful, the breakfast plentiful. There's a lovely terrace overlooking the countryside, though we didn't use it much because we preferred to people-watch at Piazza del Duomo. The hotel has parking, and you can reach it without entering the ZTL. There aren't a lot of outdoor parking spots in the hotel lot, and I will say it was difficult to get in and out of the garage spots. The hotel is on the edge of Siena, it was about a 10-minute walk to Piazza del Duomo (we walked to somewhere in Siena about twice a day). All of your destinations from Siena sound good, except Cinque Terre is too far. Monteriggioni is close to Siena and very pretty.

Note that you will only have a day and a half in Florence. If you're taking a tour on your arrival half-day, I would suggest visiting museums on your full day.
Old Feb 3rd, 2023, 11:31 AM

None of this is probably relevant to your current planned stay at the Berchielli but I stayed there on 4 different occasions back in the 70's. Back then it was an old palazzo with all marble interiors and slightly faded grandeur and was very lovely and comfortable. It is right on the Arno, just a stone's throw from the Ponte Vecchio and there used to be a plaque above the reception desk showing the water mark from the devastating floods in the sixties.

As I said, none of that is relevant to your upcoming stay but I stopped in on a later trip to Florence, when it had been completely renovated and bore no resemblance to its former self. I told them of my earlier history with the hotel and they were very gracious and showed me around the newly renovated hotel. It was quite upscale and elegant and unless it has changed it should be very nice. Personally, I was saddened by the renovation because I loved the original but that's neither here nor there.

Its location is very convenient for touring Florence and unless you have mobility issues you should be able to visit most of the sights on foot, e.g., the Uffizi, Accademia, Duomo, the market, the Via Tournabuoni, Ponte Vecchio , Piazza Signoria and others. I'm sure the hotel can make reservations for your museum visits if you wish. Since your time is limited you should have reservations. The hotel can probably arrange an airport transfer as well. Just check with them.

I agree with Yorkshire that a car is not necessary; in fact, it will be more of a nuisance than a help. Florence is small and if you can take taxis if you are unable to walk. Also, the bus/train service to nearby towns is very convenient. You can get to many places easily from Siena by public transportation.
Old Feb 4th, 2023, 06:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
From Siena , you are very near the charming and historic Chianti villages such as Radda, Castellina, Panzano, Greve and more.
They are on the “Chiantigiana”, SR 222, the historic road that connected Siena and Florence.
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, bilbo. Can you mention additional small towns of interest in the Siena area?
Old Feb 6th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 11th, 2023, 04:16 PM

I stayed at hotel Burchielli this past September. It was lovely. Please splurge for a room overlooking the river, Ponto Vecchio. It is well worth it!!!!! Excellent professional service. Breakfast outstanding.
Old Feb 25th, 2023, 01:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Places near Siena that are interesting might include
Colle di val d'Elsa (the high up bit "alta") is a fortified city (drive to the top an walk down through to the lift at the end) which had certain streets where only children and women could walk where fighting was banned during the ongoing gang-related civil wars of the medievel ages.
Monteriggioni is a tiny fortified town, never been but, have a look
Buonconvento is half walled and near, what was once the third most important Christian site in the world (in the hills to the east)
Then you are in the high density area of Montelcino and all those towns
We cycled through there and tended to stay off the major roads and found little gems all over