Autumn in Norway

Search

Autumn in Norway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2023, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autumn in Norway

I am starting to plan my trip to Norway and the first decision is when to go. I had read that it is less crowded and more chances of seeing the Northern lights in autumn. I’m trying to decide between September and October. My thoughts are that I have more of a chance to see the Northern lights in the Arctic Circle in October, but shorter days and colder and more rainy in the Western Fjords area. So I’m trying to find the right balance of still being able to see the lights and it being a little warmer and longer days. How cold does it get around Tromso in October? How short are the days? How rainy? It seemed the beginning of September offered longer days, but would I still be able to see the Northern Lights in mid September? Would I see snow on the mountains in October? When are the autumn colors in peak?
Phyllis
Old Jan 31st, 2023, 12:37 PM

www.worlddata.info/europe/norway/sunset.php
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 05:56 AM

You can see the northern lights whenever it is dark enough, if they are going to appear, which of course can't be guaranteed. They are often more active around the equinoxes, so September would be a good month to go, and you would probably have better weather then, but you need to be prepared for rain, wind and cool no matter what time of year you visit Northern Norway.

There is no knowing when snow will fall, especially with climate change, but it is unlikely in October.

I assume you are not going with the sole aim of the Aurora, and have other things you hope to see and do.

How are you planning on getting around?
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Right now the plan is to fly into Oslo, spend a few days there and then do the Norway in a nutshell from Oslo to Bergen, with an overnight in Flåm. We’d rent a car and see the West Fjord area for 4 days. Then we’d fly to Bodo and explore the Lofoten Islands. I’m not sure the best way to get from Bodo to the Islands, car, ferry?. Then fly to Tromso and spend a few days. The last part would be to take the Hurtigruten Norway coastal Express from Tromso to Kirkenes. From there back to Oslo and home. I’m now thinking of starting the beginning of September and ending three weeks later, with the hope of seeing the Northern lights then. Does this look like a reasonable plan?
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 12:05 AM

There are ferries from Bodø to Lofoten. They also accept cars or you can hire a car on Lofoten or use the bus service to get around.

I would turn your trip on it's head and start in Kirkenes, and stay on the Hurtigruten until Svolvaer. Explore Lofoten, ferry to Bodø, train from Bodø to Trondheim, rent a car there and drive down to Bergen, NIN back to Oslo. The train takes a long time but is supposed to be spectacular. On my bucket list I admit. There are videos you can find showing you the route minute by minute.

https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-you...nordland-line/

You miss Tromsø but you get to see much more beautiful scenery that way round, and gives you a better chance of reasonable weather heading north to south. Cuts out a couple of short flights too.

If you are set on Tromsø then go as you plan but you could get a bus from Svolvaer to Tromsø or the Hurtigruten from Svolvaer or Sortland and spend the afternoon in Tromsø on the way north. Or if you have hired a car use a couple of local ferries and drive.
It is a very small place really and we found a couple of hours enough there, but that is just us.

The Hurtigruten no longer sails daily, and they are more cruise shippy than they used to be. Choices of restaurant, hot tubs, and so on, even entertainment. Groan. They have to be like that as they no longer have the government contract for the trip. If you have a choice of ship my favourite is the Vesterålen, the oldest in the fleet nowadays but the smallest, with more of the feel of how it used to be.