April-May 2023 21 day Greece trip help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2023, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Greece trip was delayed due to covid, but good news now we can go for 3 weeks. We arrive Athens April 25,2023 5pm, stay in Athens 3 night. We plan to pick up a car after Athens(any suggestions where to go for car?), then drive to Meteora and say 3 nights in Kalabaka (stay in Kastraki if I can find availability for the 3 night). From there we drive near Delphi for 2 nights. Then we have 5 nights to see Olympia, Kardamyli,Limani, Mycenae, Epidavos, Nafplio, Corinth. This part I welcome suggestions for what to see/where to stay. Also, when in Delphi, could we easily see Corinth?
On May8th I'd like to drop off the car and go see the islands. My thoughts are 4 nights Naxos, 3 nights Santorini. Suggestions on which to visit first? Fly in/out of islands/Athens?
Any suggestions where to stay on the islands?
And in general, any of these destinations a tour would be recommended? We are mid-60s able to walk and hike for several hours, not into clubs/night life, preferring nature and history.
Fly back to Athens May15, stay at airport and fly back to US May 16.
thank you for your help.

Last edited by kp12267; Jan 10th, 2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe Forum and tagged for Greece
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 08:16 AM

Looks pretty good, just some transport logistics to sort out.
Have you mapped the drive? I would decide if you want to split the five nights up or split it into two chunks. You might end up leaving out Olympia, Kardamyli, and Limeni, but it depends on how much driving you wish to do. Just look at Google Maps and round up slightly--I found it reliable.
Nafplio would be perfect for visiting Mycenae and Epidarus, and stop at Corinth en route back to Athens.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 12:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your two islands are Naxos and Santorini, I'd do Naxos first. Naxos is lovely but Santorini has more dramatic views. I'd travel by ferry if you can spare the time. Flying is quicker but you don't get the wonderful views you find up on deck on a ferry. If time is an issue, you could fly one way and ferry the other.

On Santorini we stayed first time in Fira, without a caldera view. Second time was Oia, with the view. If you can afford it, I'd definitely go for a room with the view. It is so beautiful. Oia was slightly quieter and a bit prettier than Fira. We stayed at the Grotta Hotel in Naxos but that was a long time ago. The hotel was good, fairly plain rooms but some great views as it's set up on the cliff. Not in the centre of town but walking distance.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 02:18 AM

I guess if you are already in Athens you could catch the 07:25 Blue Star to Naxos, the ferry with the open deck. Frankly, for the first four hours on that ferry there is not much to see, and I have taken it to Paros (the stop before Naxos) many times. There will be another Blue Star leaving Piraeus at 17:30, and from that ferry you will be able to watch the sunset at 20:20 (May 8th), but by the time you get to the interesting scenery it will be dark.

if you can’t make it to the 07:25 Blue Star, which stops at Paros, Naxos, and finally to Santorini, suggest you look for a flight.
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 08:17 AM

I would take the plane to Naxos and save the ferry ride for the trip to Santorini. There are plenty of dramatic views on that ride.
Old Jan 14th, 2023, 12:36 PM

Good advice from Debbielynn.
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. All accommodations, car, and island travel is booked. I was wondering your thoughts on tours. I have a tour scheduled in Athens. Any suggestions if I should book a tour for the other sites (Meteora, Delphi, Olympia etc)? or on the islands?

Also, our flight connects in Heathrow. We land terminal 3, then tentatively have 2.5 hr before departing Athens from terminal 5. Would you know if it's difficult to get to terminal 5, and do we have to clear customs? We are not planning on checking baggage.
thank you
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 03:43 PM

It’s good that you have a fairly long space between flights. Last summer, we flew into terminal 5 and had a connecting flight from 5 also. We had to go through screening before we could make our next flight. We almost missed our connection as my husband didn’t put his foot cream in the 3-1-1 bag. The screening agent pulled his bag, as well as probably every second bag in our line and then examined each bag with a fine tooth comb. We had to run to the next gate. I know that some others did miss their flights.

Be extra diligent in putting everything in the liquids bag and following all the rules. The agent even pulled bags with prescription medications and went through those also. I know they confiscated makeup from one passenger’s bag. I had never seen screening at this level in the US. However, on the way back, we had absolutely no problems. I think it also has to do with the screener. Just to make you aware.
Old Apr 2nd, 2023, 05:41 AM

Hi Kp12267, Terminals 3 and 5 are on opposite sides of the runway from each other, so not the simplest connection. There is an underground train connecting the terminals, and it’s free but requires a contactless card to activate the gates. This is part of the London Underground system, so you would also need to tap the card when getting off at Terminal 5 to avoid paying charges for a longer journey. The Heathrow Airport website, which I will link below, says the connection takes 20 minutes, but that seems optimistic to me. I live in England and have used that connection, but not for several years.

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...ween-terminals
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

this was great advise and exactly what I did. Our trip to Greece was amazing.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 01:06 PM

Hope you’ll write a trip report.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

I finally wrote my trip report.
We loved our trip to Greece. Travel sites and people were mazing as was the food.Arrived in Athens evening of April 25th, 2023 Stayed at Kimon Hotel 3 nights.

Took guided Parthenon, Acropolis, and museum tour.

April 28 picked up rental car and drove to Kalabaka, staying at Alsos House for 3 nights. Walked to 2 of the monasteries. Took guided half day tour to 3 other Monasteries.

May 1, drove to Delphi staying at Acropole Delphi City Hotel. Visited ancient sites and museum.

May 3, stayed one night at Hotel Pelops. Visited Olympic sites.

May 4, visited Mycenea. Stayed 3 nights in Nafplio at Aetoma Hotel. Visited Epidaurus, Palamidi Fortress, Akronafplia Fortress, and the farmer’ s market.

May 7, visit Corinth. Stay at Hotel Cokkinis.

May 8th, fly to Naxos. Say at Venetian Suites 4 nights. Most days, we explored the island on foot. One day, we took a bus tour of the island that included Temple of Demetra, pottery demonstration, visit to olive press, and a distillery.

May 12, took ferry to Santorini and stayed at Galatia Villages for 3 nights. Took the island bus to Kamari Beach and spent the day, another day we took the afternoon bus to the Red Beach.

One day we walked from Fira to Oia and returned with the bus.

May 15, flight from Santorini. Stayed at Comfort Stay Airport studios and departed for Chicago May 16.