After Provence bike trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're already schedule for 10 day bike trip in Provence... and want to add a week afterwards (early June). Looking for ideas before we book flights. Prefer to be near or at a coast for hiking, chilling at pool, beach, experience a different culture and not too complicated travel from Provence. So far we're considering Corsica (Calvi?), Portugal coast, Croatia, Pays Basque. Open to other ideas - train or short flights from Avignon/Marseilles. Also prefer an area we don't need a car the whole time. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd catch a train up to the corner where France first meets Spain. A very special area called Catalonia. You can catch the train. Assuming you have had enough cycling (the cycling is great here) you have Narbonne, all the way down to Barcelona, lots of amazing art, small cities, great wine and food. Due to the geography you don't need a car.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you Bilboburgler - we've been trying to figure out where to stay based on your suggestion of Catalonia. We want to do coastal hikes and stay near nice beach or two, then we'd have last few nights to finally see Barcelona. I've looked a lot and it appears we'd need a car and drive to a different town each day? Prefer one or two bases where we can hike from there, and maybe train in between. Can you expand on your suggestion?
thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 03:40 AM

TttJust to remind me to come back, away from laptop
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 05:01 AM

We reached Sant Feliu de Guixols by bike along a greenway from Girona. It has a lovely beach and hiking paths in both directions. There is regional bus service, but the train stations are indeed further inland at that point. I don’t know Llança and Portbou — Bilboburger can advise.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 05:57 AM

trying to mix culture with beach resorts is tricky, all the way north from Barcelona are beaches, I don't know the details because I don't really "beach". The train turns away from the coast at Malgrat. In terms of real towns GIrona and Figueres are the the real deal and only 15km by bike to the coast or use the train (see earlier). Bike culture is big so bike hire is pretty well organised and lots of safe and safeish paths/roads about

The famous beach is at SItges, though Barcelona has a nice little one

Muriel may come along and she may have other ideas (if so follow them as she is fantastic)