Search

Thatched roof cottages near train stations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2022, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thatched roof cottages near train stations

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

This summer, husband and I are going to England. We've been there a few times before, but this will probably be his last trip. He'd like to see thatched-roof cottage, but he's a bit "well-seasoned" and can't walk very far for it. We're both fit - no issues there - but I'd like to make this easy for him.

We want to travel independently. Are there any thatched-roof cottages near train stations that are within a day trip's distance of London (one of our "base" cities)? So far, the closest I can come is a Viator day trip to Oxford.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 6th, 2022, 05:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Note: Viator does not 'do' tours. They are merely a reseller of other company's offerings so someone else is the actual operator.

I might pick Amberley in West Sussex -- 1 hr 23 mins from Victoria Station with no changes. Its a small village with lots of thatched houses, a museum, and a posh castle hotel that has a lovely restaurant for afternoon tea.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 04:18 AM

Charring Cross Station to Rye in Sussex. May involve a change of train at the same station. Journey time around 2 hours.
https://londonist.com/london/beyond-...ngs-to-do-stay
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I have Google Maps open in another tab, and both of those places look adorable. I'm not seeing thatched roofs, though...just super cute buildings.

Old Dec 7th, 2022, 10:18 PM

Amberley is very very small there is no high street the trip between the railway station and the village is along a busy country road. with no side way. You walk in the road. I wonder if there is a taxi? Looking at the station it does not seem like one outside.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/50.9...7254!3e2?hl=en
Loads of thatched cottages towns an nearby railway near the capital is impossible to find.
Even pretty villages like say Corfe Castle or Finchingfield do not have a lot of thatch. Then there is the transport issue to solve.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. You're right, it IS very, very hard to find. He might end up napping in the train station while I get some photos for him. I'm not sure he would even walk one mile...if he did walk that far, I'm not sure he would be able to walk back. It's a complicated thing.

I do appreciate the insight, though!
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 04:25 AM

Where else are you going? I know you are in Yorkshire. There are thatched cottages all over the country, some more chocolate boxy than others.
Anne Hathaway's Cottage is thatched for instance should you be round the Stratford area. I am sure there are trips out to it from the town.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 04:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Globe Theatre is thatched, will that do?
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone. Hetismij2, you have an impressive memory! We're pretty much doing a week in Yorkshire and a week based in London. I'd like to visit Ashdown Forest; we fly out of Gatwick so that will be a nice wrap-up to the trip. He's a big Downton fan so we'll go to Highclere Castle as a day trip (that needs to be part of a tour with the lack of public transit).

He's in his mid-70s and fit but we like to plan on very little walking so that he feels terrific. We end up walking several miles a day, which is perfect - steady, easy miles.

Globe Theatre is a good thought! We've been there and would just like to see more, if we can. We're never sure how he's going to feel so we like to stay as independent (flexible) as we can. Then he impresses the heck out of both of us with what he's inspired to do.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 05:37 AM

I can't really answer your question except to say that if you've ever been on a steam train, or lived near a line where they run them, then it soon becomes apparent that any thatched cottages wouldn't have lasted very long. Embers and thatch really don't mix.
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 01:51 PM

Thatch is a lousy (literally) roofing material. The local wildlife will take up residence and as willit says, it is a fire risk. Since it is a fire risk the insurance will be steep, plus it has to be renewed regularly. (Of course, I was very surprised after I moved to the US and bought a house to discover that the same was true of the shingles used in my area. Slate and tile don't have that problem.)
Old Dec 8th, 2022, 11:01 PM

The best place I have found for quite thatched cottages was around Stockbridge- Middle Wallop and Wherwell in Hampshire. Unfortunately what trains services in that area there was have been cut a long time ago.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 04:09 AM

Have you considered somewhere like the https://www.wealddown.co.uk/ open air museum? It has thatched cottages you can actually go into. Train to Chichester then bus to the museum.
The wonderful BBC programme The Repair Shop is filmed there.

We have plenty of thatched homes here in the Netherlands, including new builds.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was thinking of the Weald and Downland too but wasn't sure about ease of transport -- Most websites include useful info re transport options but on the W&D's - nada. Didn't know about bus service from Chichester station -- which is only 7 miles so a taxi wouldn't be too bad.

But a quick look at Rome2Rio (usually pretty accurate) shows a mere 18 minute bus ride on the Line 60 (but the 60 doesn't call at Chichester Station so first there is a 3/4 mile walk to the correct bus stop)

The Weald and Downland Museum is absolutely terrific.

Old Dec 10th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'm letting him decide but I think he's leaning toward the museum.