Biking question; Douro Valley from Regua to Pinhao

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done biking in the Douro from Regua to Pinhao? Looking at the map the road N222 runs along the river. I am a cyclist but my wife is not, but she is athletic.

I was looking at renting ebikes from Douro Cycles in Regua, and riding the N222. Looks like 25km.

Is it a safe and scenic road? Would a non cyclist enjoy it?
Tkx
Don
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 02:39 PM

We've driven the narrow and serpentine N222 many times, and the drive is indeed very, very scenic as it hugs the river. The views of the steeply terraced vineyards ("heroic viticulture") are really incredible, especially in the fall. But in our many back-and-forth drives, Régua-Pinhão we've actually never come across a cyclist. The two lane road is safe with some 93 bends but very slow going.

I believe that in 2015 the N222 was voted "the best drive in the world" (don't remember by whom)
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maribel
We've driven the narrow and serpentine N222 many times, and the drive is indeed very, very scenic as it hugs the river. The views of the steeply terraced vineyards ("heroic viticulture") are really incredible, especially in the fall. But in our many back-and-forth drives, Régua-Pinhão we've actually never come across a cyclist. The two lane road is safe with some 93 bends but very slow going.

I believe that in 2015 the N222 was voted "the best drive in the world" (don't remember by whom)

Tkx Maibel,
I actually just booked a biking/boat trip with Magnífico Douro tours. We will e-bike from Pinhao to Tua, then take a boat back. This seems like a better option. Some of the Magnifico reviews were not all great, but I like the package.

We actually will be driving N222 the day before from Regua to Pinhao, then staying at the
Casa das Pipas / Quinta do Portal. Do you have any recommendations to stop along the way for quinta touring or lunch along the N222?

Don
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 09:51 AM

Yes, that does seem like a better option, since you'll be driving the N222 the day before.
I know the Casa das Pipas/Quinta do Portal up in the hills. It's a pretty place, and they make excellent wines. Nice dining too. Port guru Roy Hersh with his "For the Love of Port" harvest tours has sometimes based there.

For a quinta tour/tasting or lunch on or slightly off the N222, here are a few options (depending on how much you want to spend)--

1. Quinta da Pacheca (also a hotel) on the other side of the river from Régua (2 km) could be a stop for both tour/tasting and lunch. We've had very nice meals there in the pretty dining room decorated with Bordallo Pinheiro ceramics. You do need to book in advance, as it does take bus tour groups for the tours/tastings. It's a quick and easy 5-min. or so, 2 km. drive from Régua.
https://quintadapacheca.com

2. Just before reaching Pacheca on this same road to the right, there's the Quinta de Tourais (no rooms, no meals), which is smaller and doesn't get group traffic. The owner of the Restaurante Tasca da Quinta sent us there--same family. Friendly and low key.
https://www.quintadetourais.com.

3. Quinta do Tedo (also a B&B) does a nice tour/tasting for those who aren't familiar with the porto-making process--kind of an "introduction to port" tour. They produce a rosé port as well. But again, you need to pre-book since they also do take groups. And because it's an easy "in and out" (the easiest of all the quintas on this road), right off the N222, they get very busy. We went early. Here you get "double whammy" views, since it sits on the confluence of both the Douro and the Tedo. It also has a casual restaurant. It sits about 17 min. southwest of Pinhão.
https://www.quintadotedo.com

4. For amazing views from a handsome Tuscan-looking estate, there's Sogrape's Quinta do Seixo up in the hills, about 15 min. southwest of Pinhão. While their group tour I find a little too slick, with 7 different types of visits, and a bit hokey, with the guides dressed in Sandeman black capes and hats, the views are worth the drive up, even if you don't want to take the tour and instead just take in the views and snap photos. They also take the Douro Azul bus tours, so there's that...

On 9/23 they opened a brand new restaurant, "Seixo", with kitchen supervised by the Michelin-starred chef of Porto's Euskalduna. The menui is a la carte and typical Douro cuisine. Restaurant only open Wed.-Sun.
https://www.sandeman.com/port-wine/v...o-seixo-douro/
https://restauranteseixo.pt/en/
https://restauranteseixo.pt/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Menu_Seixo_ENG-min.pdf

For blow-out, splurge, luxury dining, there's Michelin-starred Rui Paula's D.O.C, perched right at the river's edge on the N222, but it's tasting menus only ($$$$). I don't think you have this in mind, though, because it would be a looooong affair.

These are the ones I can recommend on or slightly off the N222 between Régua and Pinhão. If you need Pinhão recs, just ask! (There are 4 quintas and a nice, casual restaurant, Veladouro, at the pier)

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 4th, 2022 at 10:07 AM.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

M,
Thanks AGAIN for all your great info, leaving next Wed
Don
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 12:16 PM

Have fun!