Search

UP Michigan trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2022, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UP Michigan trip

My husband I have a vacation to the UP Planned leaving the 10th of Sept. I would like to get your opinions on my itinerary.

Day 1 drive to Novi, MI spend night with relatives.
Day 2 drive to Mackinaw City and spend the night.
Day 3 drive to Whitefish Point and see the Shipwreck Museum, then onto Tahaquamenon Falls S.P. Then drive to Grand Marais to spend the night.
Day 4 drive down the Lakeshore drive to see Lighthouse, hiking and Pictured Rocks. Then onto Munising for 1 night stay. Take the sunset cruise to Pictured Rocks.
Day 5 drive to Copper Harbor and drive Brockway Mtn. road. and spend 1 night
Day 6-7 drive to the Porcupine Mtns. for a 2 night stay. Hiking and driving
Day 8 drive to Escabana and spend 1 night.
Day 9 drive to Mackinaw City and spend the night and see things along the way
Day10 take the ferry to Mackinaw Island for a 1 night stay.
Day 11 drive back home to Indiana.

I am wondering if 1 night at Munising is enough or do I need 2. If going to Copper Harbor I don't go to Copper Harbor I could spend 1 more night in Munising. Also, would if it be better to spend 1 more night in the Porkies and not spend the night in Escabana. Would driving for the Porkies to Mackinaw city to much in 1 day.
Thanks any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 01:53 PM

Could you add Traverse City en route? It has repeatedly been declared as one of the best small towns in America. It has a wide variety of outdoor recreational opportunities and great restaurants. Nearby is the amazing Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore with its high dunes, lush forests, inland lakes, picturesque farmsteads and an historic maritime village.

Old Sep 1st, 2022, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you but we have been to both places, just have not been to the UP
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 11:53 AM

I would avoid staying in Mackinaw City if I could, it is all overpriced and nothing there. Maybe go spend the night on the island and then leave later the next day & head up to Whitefish point and T-Falls.
We love Marquette you may want to look at spending a night or 2 there you could even do your Pictured Rocks and Munising. visit from there if you wanted. We have stayed at the Nestledown B&B in Marquette it is wonderful.
Copper Harbor is beautiful stop in Calumet on your way up and do the Quincy mine tour and in Calumet do the little mine museum. Have a pasty or 2.
We have rented a great Airbnb in Lac La Belle right on Lake Superior.
You also need to go up to Brockway Mt for the views and maybe catch the Aurora if you are lucky.
where are you planning on staying in the Porcupine Mt area? Make sure you have reservations somewhere
not much in Escanaba.
yes u can drive from the Porcupine Mt to Mackinaw City in a day. But maybe keep going to Petoskey instead it is a wonderful town on Grand Traverse Bay.
Have a spectacular trip you are hitting some of our favorite spots.

Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 01:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Not much in Munsing outside of taking the boat to see Picture Rocks. We got there one afternoon, did the boat cruise and left the next day. Plenty of time for us.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input. It helps make decisions easier
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the tips.
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 08:27 PM

I think your plan is very doable. It will be a long drive from the Porcupine Mountains to Mackinaw City but I’m sure you know that.
I saw my first and only bear at the end of Copper Harbor, eating berries on a two track.
I’ve taken the boat cruise for Pictured Rocks twice and would like to do one of the kayak tours the next time I go there.
We were just at Whitefish Point today. If you want a good rock collecting beach go to Vermillion Point. The road is off N. Whitefish Point Rd. It’s a little bit of a drive and the road isn’t great, a lot of bumps, but at the end there is an old life saving compound. Interesting to see but nothing there is open and the area is also a Piping Plover sanctuary if you’re into birding.
https://landtrust.org/vermilion-point-nature-preserve/
We always stop at The Fish House on 123. It’s on the way to Tahquamenon Falls. It’s a no frills dinner but the Whitefish there is fresh caught daily and the best we’ve ever had. They do not take credit/debit cards.
I hope you enjoy the UP, it’s one of our favorite places to go.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 05:08 AM

not much in Escanaba
Agree with this.

Are you skipping the Soo locks? I would add Point Iroquois lighthouse. I’ve heard the Porcupine Mts are either a quick stop or hard core backpacking, so maybe not 2 nights.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 08:01 AM

We loved the Picture Rocks cruise, have fun. You will be seeing a part of Michigan that most people who live in Michigan have Never seen.
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 08:05 AM

If you stay in Mackinaw City, I recommend this place https://www.clearwatermackinaw.com/

My family has been staying there for many years. The current owners are wonderful and it has a great view of the bridge and the Friday night fireworks. They have fire pits on the beach that they light for you nightly and they provide s'more ingredients
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

We have been to the Soo locks before. We like to do hiking so might still do 2 nights in the Porkies . Will check out the Point Iroquis lighthouse. Only staying in Escanaba to break up the long drive to Mackinaw city. Thanks so much for your input.
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much we are very excited about going.