Draft itinerary Ireland in May

Old Aug 11th, 2022, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draft itinerary Ireland in May

Thanks all for your guidance so far. Here is a very rough draft itinerary. All activities can and will be modified I'm sure. One qualm I have is are we overloading on the elegant castle stays? Will it feel overwhelmingly luxurious and keep us out of villages? In general, does this work geographically, time wise? All suggestions gratefully accepted. (and when do we fit in music?)PROPOSED IRELAND ITINERARY:

1. Go straight to Ashford Castle – 4 nights

a. Day one rest and relax from flight

b. Day two – Foxford (Steve’s family hails from there) woolen mills, Castlebar

c. Day Three Connamera

d. Day Four Kylemore abbey

2. Adare Manor Hotel 3 nights

a. Day 5 Drive to Adare via Galway perhaps

b. Day 6 river Shannon cruise

c. Day 7 Skellig Michael

3. Killarney Park 3 nights (Lake hotel?)

a. Day 8 drive down via Ring of Kerry

b. Day 9 explore park -history tour, Muckross Friary and House

c. Day 10 Dingle peninsula or visit historic houses, castles, monasteries etc.

4. Dublin – five nights

a. Day 11 Drive to Dublin via Cashel

b. Day 12History day one – EPIC, Kilmainham Gaol, Famine museum ship

c. Day 13 History and culture – history guided tour, Trinity College, Dublin writers museum, custom house etc.

d. Day 14 Explore northern suburbs – Newgrange, Droghega and Mellifont Abbey

e. Day 15 Explore southern suburbs – Powerscourt house and gardens and Glendalough

f. Day 16 home
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just one quick question -- assuming you arriving at DUB - how are you getting to Ashford Castle? That's more than 150 miles and one definitely shouldn't drive after an overnight transatlantic flight.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Just one quick question -- assuming you arriving at DUB - how are you getting to Ashford Castle? That's more than 150 miles and one definitely shouldn't drive after an overnight transatlantic flight.
Good question Janis, the package with the hotel I have corresponded with them about includes limo transport to the hotel, but that is a good point about such a long car ride after the flight - worth thinking about
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 04:11 PM

While the limo transfer to Ashford Castle sounds an excellent idea, I would look into the practicalities of renting a car in Cong on Day 2 and presumably returning it in Dublin at the end of your trip.
Kylemore Abbey can be incorporated into your touring day of Connemara on Day 3.
A day trip to one of the islands - Inishbofin, Clare Island, Inishturk - on Day 4 would add a little bit of adventure to the west of Ireland section of your itinerary.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Great ideas SeeDee, that's why this forum is so great. Are there ferries?
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Adare Manor is fabulous. One of the great things there is you can walk down to the village through a guests only gate at the bottom of the property (or they will drive you down). You can easily visit the local pubs and restaurants. It’s lovely town.

i would highly recommend the Oak Room if you have any interest in fine dining.

also, The Padel Room at Adare Manor is spectacular and the falconry there is also wonderful.

We came very close to staying at Ashford Castle amd SIL was just there a few days ago and loved it.

While in Dingle consider Dingle Sea Safaris—beautiful coast line and a good chance of seeing seals, dolphins and whales depending on time of year. One of our favorite activities from the trip.

We loved Ireland.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I loved your trip report Denisea, and it definitely inspired me. How long was the drive from Adare to Connamera? I'm still debating between staying 4 nights at Ashlford and 3 at Adare, or just do 6 or 7 at Adare
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 05:51 AM

We did not get to Connemara. It’s definitely in the next trip plan.

My SIL stayed at Ashford Castle last week and loved it.

we stayed at Adare Manor for a week and loved it. It will impact where you can get in a day but we were happy as it’s amazing and it’s no sacrifice to stay there all day a few days. We stuck to Dingle Peninsula, Ring of Kerry/Killarney and Cliffs of Moher/The Burren. They were full days.

if you definitely want Connemara then I’d split the time between Adare Manor and Ashford Castle.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by lauramsgarden
Great ideas SeeDee, that's why this forum is so great. Are there ferries?
Daily ferries to all the islands
To Inishbofin, 11.30am from Cleggan Pier (1hr 20 from Ashford Castle)
Both Inishturk and Clare Island are served by O'Malley Ferries from Roonagh, boats depart for both islands at 10.45am. About the same distance from AC.
Of the three islands, Inishturk is by far the smallest (permanent population hovers around 60) and you explore on foot - a real away-from-it-all place.
While the other two are bigger, don't expect to find many people around in May, which would be early tourist season.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

ok, the deed is done. I was getting nervous about disappearing rooms so airline tickets purchased, reservations made at Ashford, Adare and for final five days in Dublin. The only lodging we still have to figure out will be near killarney - something a little less wildly extravagant methinks. Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 06:08 PM

I am sure you’re gonna have a spectacular trip!